THE PARANORMAL WORLD DATABASE       MONTANA   ADAMS HOTEL (LAVINA) BACKGROUND: The Adams Hotel, built in 1908 within a year of the Milwaukee Road's arrival, is a huge two- story Colonial Revival style building seemingly standing in the middle of nowhere. While the hotel survived, on and off, for many years, it was simply too ambitious an establishment for the size of town that Lavina grew to be. Early hopes were that the town would grow to be a major supply center in the area, given that it was on the Milwaukee Road. Though early success inspired the owner to expand in 1911, by the 1920s drought descended on Montana, quickly reversing any growth experienced. As a result Lavina became a minor supply center, never again growing sufficiently to require a hotel as grand and as large as The Adams. The American Lutheran Church of Lavina formed their own congregation in 1930 and bought and moved into the Adams Hotel. They remained there until 1973, at which time the high cost of maintaining and operating the large two story building forced the congregation to sell the building and move into the Lavina Methodist Church to share it with the Methodists. Sometime after the Lutherans vacated it, the hotel was bought by Raymond Barry, who began a restoration, but was unable to complete it. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMWAE8_Adams_Hotel_Lavina_MT PHENOMENA: There are said to be two ghosts who haunt the Adams and their presence has been more pronounced since renovations have begun to turn the building into a museum. One is a former female hotel employee, who has been seen lying on a bed on the upper floor and appears to many to be agitated about something. The other is a woman in a white dress often seen sitting in a rocking chair in the entrance hall. ASYLUM DISTILLERY (BILLINGS) BACKGROUND: The Spaghetti Depot opened in the 1970s at 2223 Montana Ave. in the Sawyer Building. The space was later home to Stella's Place, an Italian restaurant that would eventually become Stella's Bakery. The building most recently housed an antique mall. In the early 1980s, Great Harvest Bread and Stella's Kitchen was a vibrant success and a downtown fixture. The owners of the old Spaghetti Depot on Montana Avenue — all of whom were dentists — approached Ziggy and Stella Ziegler with an offer to buy. PHENOMENA:  On December 8th, 1945, an airplane holding returning soldiers from WWII crashed in a field east of Rocky Mountain College. 17 servicemen and two pilots died in the crash and left only 4 survivors. The bodies of 13 of the men had to be stored in the refrigerated warehouse of the local grocery store as the local morgue couldn’t handle so many bodies. Employees, passersby and customers report seeing a uniformed soldier passing by, but whenever they get close, he vanishes right before their eyes. BANNACK GHOST TOWN (BANNACK) BACKGROUND: Founded in 1862 and named after the local Bannock Indians, it was the site of a major gold discovery in 1862, and served as the capital of Montana Territory briefly in 1864, until the capital was moved to Virginia City. Bannack continued as a mining town, though with a dwindling population. The last residents left in the 1970s. At its peak, Bannack had a population of about ten thousand. Extremely remote, it was connected to the rest of the world only by the Montana Trail. There were three hotels, three bakeries, three blacksmith shops, two stables, two meat markets, a grocery store, a restaurant, a brewery, a billiard hall, and four saloons. Though all of the businesses were built of logs, some had decorative false fronts. Among the town's founders was Dr. Erasmus Darwin Leavitt, a physician born in Cornish, New Hampshire, who gave up medicine for a time to become a gold miner. Dr. Leavitt arrived in Bannack in 1862, and alternately practiced medicine and mined for gold with pick and shovel. Bannack's sheriff, Henry Plummer, was accused by some of secretly leading a ruthless band of road agents, with early accounts claiming that this gang was responsible for over a hundred murders in the Virginia City and Bannack gold fields and trails to Salt Lake City. However, because only eight deaths are historically documented, some modern historians have called into question the exact nature of Plummer's gang, while others deny the existence of the gang altogether. In any case, Plummer and two compatriots, both deputies, were hanged, without trial, at Bannack on January 10, 1864. PHENOMENA: Cold spots, the apparition of a teenage girl, and sounds of crying children are often reported by those who visit the Hotel Meade. It’s said a teenage girl named Dorothy Dunn drowned in a dredge pond along the creek in 1916. Not long after, her spirit revealed itself to her best friend who was with her the day she died. She’s still seen wearing a long blue dress on the second floor of the hotel. Also on the second floor is the spirit of an older woman seen staring out a window. Children have claimed to watch try to speak to them with no words coming out of her mouth. Unusual cold spots and the sounds of children crying have also been reported as well as ghostly ladies in elegant dresses. The Bessette House, is said to be haunted by children who died of epidemics which spread through the town. It’s further said the ghost of Henry Plummer haunts various buildings in Bannack like Skinner Saloon, where he and his "road agents" spent a great deal of time. BELTON CHALET & LODGE (WEST GLACIER) BACKGROUND:  It began when James J. Hill completed the line over Marias Pass into the Flathead Valley in 1891, overcoming huge odds. He established a stop at Milepost 1106 named Belton after an early settler named Bell. The reputation of this beautiful area spread, and a small community grew around the station. Taken by the surroundings himself, James’ son, Louis, imagined a series of lodges, chalets and camps that would funnel wealthy railroad passengers from the East to magnificent mountain vistas rivaling great tours through Switzerland. In 1910 the Great Northern Railway completed the first of these grand tourist facilities, Belton Chalet, the same summer Glacier National Park was created. Two cottages were finished in 1911 and the original dormitory, now known as the Lodge, was opened in 1913. By that year, The Belton had been overshadowed by the grand Many Glacier Hotel and Glacier Park Hotel at East Glacier, so with the arrival of automobile touring and the Great Depression, the Chalet began a steady decline. The Great Northern sold the Chalet after World War II and it passed through a series of owners for 50 years who operated the restaurant and bar sporadically. he Current restoration by the Still-Baxter family that began in 1997 took three years to complete. They brought back the original porches, stairways, colors, finishes, and gardens, as well as upgrading all electrical and plumbing. https://www.beltonchalet.com/ PHENOMENA: The sound of crying among other ghostly activity has been heard in rooms 30 and 37 and guests will hear their names called by disembodied voices. Doors will slam shut and faucets will turn on in empty rooms. When the lodge was closed for renovations in 1998, it’s said an antique Chinese marble was tossed down the stairs despite the fact no one was aware of such an object in the building before that incident. There is a mischievous ghost that the staff has named, “Bob” that likes to play pranks on people like hiding keys, etc. and the sounds of footsteps and strange noises abound. One male guest and his wife left the hotel abruptly one day after he turned to see the apparition of little girl dressed in white in the shower with him. BOULDER HOT SPRINGS (BOULDER) BACKGROUND: Boulder Hot Springs Inn and Spa is an historic landmark which once catered to Presidents, celebrities, and wealthy ranchers. It is reported that Teddy Roosevelt stayed here during his time in office while hunting in the area, that Warren Harding stayed here and FDR made a stop here after visiting associates in Butte. The first of the buildings on this site was constructed in 1863 by a prospector, James E. Riley. Mr. Riley built a saloon and bathhouse catering to local miners and ranchers who came here to soak, bathe, and enjoy the amenities. In 1881, Riley enlarged the hotel at the springs, and the following year began to construct a new hotel that would accommodate fifty people. In September of that same year, Riley died of smallpox. After Riley’s death, Abel C. Quaintance and Cornelius Griswold bought the springs and the hotel was completed. The property changed hands several times, and in 1909, James A. Murray, a Butte millionaire miner and banker, purchased the springs. In 1910, the hotel underwent a thorough renovation. In early 1990, the Hot Springs was purchased by Anne Wilson Schaef and it is now owned by a Limited Partnership. http://www.boulderhotsprings.com/AboutUs/innhistory.htm PHENOMENA: It's said that a prostitute named Simone was stabbed to death by a mining executive from Butte and her spirit now haunts the premises. Guests claim to have encountered a strong odor of perfume, disembodied footsteps in hallways and the sight of a woman thought to be Simone in a white gown looking out the windows or standing stationary in hallways. Guests have reported being tugged on and the sound of phantom children running up and down hallways. CONRAD MANSION MUSEUM (KALISPELL) BACKGROUND:  It was the home of Charles E. Conrad, a late 19th century shipping magnate and early pioneer of Kalispell. In addition to shipping, over the course of his career Conrad was involved in a number of different businesses including real estate, banking, cattle ranching, and mining. Construction of the home began in 1892 and it was completed in November 1895. PHENOMENA: Since it opened as a museum in 1975, staff have reported a wide array of paranormal activity here that includes tour guides bumping into invisible entities, even going so far as to excuse themselves before seeing no one there. There are claims of a little girl on the third floor that some claim to be the Conrad’s youngest daughter Alicia - who gifted the mansion to the own in 1974 - in a younger form. She has also been seen by passersby staring out a window. There is also the apparition of a man that is perhaps Charles Conrad smoking a cigar outside the mansion with the smell wafting through the grounds. One visitor inquired about a woman she saw sitting in the sewing room but learned no one else was in there. During an arts and crafts bazaar in 2012, paintings were moved every night after closing to be found that way the following morning. During a Christmas-time shoot, a photographer said she clearly heard and felt the sounds of children’s footsteps running past her on the stairs. COPPER KING MANSION (BUTTE) BACKGROUND: Built from 1884 to 1888 as the Butte, Montana, residence of William Andrews Clark, one of Montana's three famous Copper Kings. Perhaps his greatest legacy to Butte was that he built the beloved Columbia Gardens, a 68-acre playground and amusement park for the young at heart of Butte and the region. Thursdays were set aside to transport children for free to the Columbia Gardens on his electric trolley system. Other charitable efforts of Clark include a girl scout camp in New York state named for his daughter Andree. He also funded the Paul Clark Home, an orphanage in Butte that provided sanctuary for the sick and the indigent, and the YWCA home in Los Angeles for homeless girls and their mothers. The Copper King Mansion has been privately owned, operated, and occupied by the Cote family since 1953. The home is operated as a bed and breakfast. Guided tours are available during the summer tourist season, or by appointment during the winter months. The home underwent restoration in 2012. PHENOMENA: There are reports of a chill in the air inside the Gaming Room. In the chapel and ballroom, there is said to be a friendly presence who nonetheless enjoys playing a prank or two on people. In one case, a tour guide giving a talk on the area was shocked when the lid of a trunk flew open on its own. In the basement and first floor hallway, a misty, fog-like apparition has been seen floating through rooms. Doors will open and close by themselves and lock when no one living is responsible for it. DALY MANSION (HAMILTON) BACKGROUND: In 1886 Marcus Daly purchased the existing Anthony Chaffin homestead, including the farmhouse, and had it completely remodeled by 1889. This was to be his family's summer residence. Because the Daly family did extensive entertaining, the Mansion was remodeled again in 1897 to a Queen Anne style Victorian home. This home, when completed, reminded Marcus of a church, so once again, remodeling plans were begun. Marcus Daly died in November of 1900 before the remodeling was started.  A few years later, Mrs. Daly contracted A. J. Gibson of Missoula to go ahead with the remodeling plans. The Queen Anne home was to be incorporated into the new Georgian-Revival style home. The remodeling was completed in 1910. http://dalymansion.org/DalyMansionHistory.html PHENOMENA: The most perplexing activity here concerns a painting that was moved from the living room to the music room during building renovations. Each morning, the staff would return to find the painting lying on the ground. This continued for days until it was finally returned to its original spot. The smell of cigar smoke also permeates the building along the smell of roses even in mid-winter. Phantom footsteps and doors closing with nobody around is common and it’s said the ghost of Mrs. Daly has been spotted walking down the second floor hallway. DUDE RANCHER LODGE (BILLINGS) BACKGROUND: Built in 1950 by Annabel and Percival Goan, the Dude Rancher Lodge was originally constructed using salvaged bricks from the old St. Vincent’s hospital, the Russell Refinery, and the Washington School. The couple ran the hotel together until 1962, when Percival passed away after a car accident. Annabel continued to run the hotel on her own, though slowly, her health began to decline. She lived in an apartment at the hotel and was cared for by her dedicated staff, until eventually she was moved to a nursing home. On February 2, 1983, Annabel passed away. http://www.duderancherlodge.com/haunted-history/ PHENOMENA: It’s been said the former cook, Bob, makes his presence known by banging pots and pans in the kitchen at night and at times helps out his old friends around the lodge, in one case locating a fuse for a handyman having difficult finding one. The sound of children running in the second floor halls with no children being present is another unusual but common sound. Annabel’s spirit still remains at her former place of business and staff reports a host of odd things attributed to her presence like the door to room 226 (her grandson’s old room) not opening with its key only to open later when she is asked to please do so. Her apparition has also been seen in a nightgown on the second floor walking the hallways or heard climbing the stairs. In addition, a shadowy figure has been seen in the basement, lights turn on and off, televisions do so as well when rooms are being cleaned and odd knocking sounds are heard on walls. ELK’S LODGE (MILES CITY) BACKGROUND: The Elks pre-dated their building, having been formed several years earlier in 1900. In 1909, the Elks hosted a state convention which was long remembered by those who attended. The little “town” they built for the occasion in Riverside Park lasted for years, and two little log cabins still stand near the Denton Sports Complex that were part of that town. The only embarrassment for the local organization was that they didn’t have their own building. They shared space in what was then the fanciest building in Miles City, the 1902 Wibaux Building, with several other groups. So they started raising funds. Within just a few years, the local lodge had the money it needed to construct a new home. The basic structure was going to cost $50,000, not including electrical and plumbing and other finishing touches. On April 20, 1914, Miles City Lodge No. 537, B.P.O.E., broke ground for its elegant building, which would include ornate light fixtures attributed to Tiffany, a gymnasium and steam room, and other amenities. The building still stands today, having served several generations of Elks members. https://www.milescitystar.com/content/elks- lodge-celebrating-100-years PHENOMENA: In 1963, a suicide was committed at the lodge and it’s thought this might be a source of some of the activity reported here. There have been numerous sightings of a female spirit wearing a long dress wandering the halls of the Elks Lodge and in particular the Fireside Room. It’s claimed she has been caught on camera exiting a bathroom. The ghost of a former Elk wearing the typical green jacket has been seen. And witnesses claim to have heard the sound of big band music coming from the ballroom. FORT PECK THEATER (FORT PECK) BACKGROUND: Built as a temporary structure in 1934 in Fort Peck to serve as a movie theater. It is also known as the Fort Peck Summer Theater. The theater was designed in a pseudo-Swiss-chalet style as an amenity for the 50,000 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers workers and their families at the Fort Peck Dam project. The interior features open-truss wood construction, with handcrafted light fixtures fabricated in Corps of Engineers workshops. The theater survived to become a permanent facility, and in 2008 was in use as a community theater. The building includes a stage, a 1209-seat auditorium, a lounge, a foyer, a lobby, a manager's office, and four dressing rooms. It was designed and/or built by Eugene Frank Gilstrap and the C.F. Haglin Co. PHENOMENA: It’s said to be haunted by a male spirit who has been seen in 1930s work clothes. There are stories a workman dying in a fall during construction in 1934, so perhaps this is his ghost seen at the the theater. Many people report hearing the sounds of men at work when the theater is empty and apparitions have often been seen in the dressing rooms. GALLATIN GATEWAY INN (GALLITIN) BACKGROUND:  The Gallatin Gateway Inn was opened on June 18, 1927. Constructed and operated by The Milwaukee Road (Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad), the luxury hotel was reached by electrified railroad branch line that connected to the Milwaukee's main line at Three Forks, Montana. It was among the first hotels in Montana with telephones in every room,[citation needed] and offered travelers access to Yellowstone National Park. Park buses took passengers from the hotel to the park. It was the first hotel built and operated by the Milwaukee Road.[citation needed] The hotel was originally built to promote tourism on the Milwaukee Road's Olympian and Columbian passenger trains. The hotel was restored in the 1980s. The Gallatin Gateway Inn ceased operations indefinitely on February 10, 2013. After closing suddenly in February 2014, it was announced the Inn was purchased in March 2014 by unknown buyers. PHENOMENA: A young female housekeeper was murdered by her boyfriend on the property, and her spirit has been spotted by numerous guests. appearing in a mirror with them as if standing behind them. A male spirit in residence is more mischievous, turning lights on and off, moves utensils and playing the piano with guests nearby. Guests have reported feeling the presence of an unseen entity who promotes feelings of sadness and despair and is also known to to push and shove both guests and employees. Then there is “The Bridegroom Ghost” Bridegroom Ghost who helps brides down the main staircase that leads down to The Great Room by placing an arm around their waists to help steady them as the descend. GRAND UNION HOTEL (FORT BENTON) BACKGROUND: The hotel’s history began in 1882, just 36 years after Fort Benton was founded and 7 years before Montana became a state, and was built at the height of Fort Benton’s prosperity and the steamboat era on the Upper Missouri River. Within a year however, the hotel’s fortunes declined. The completion of the Northern Pacific Railroad to Helena in June 1883 and the Canadian Pacific Railroad to Calgary in August 1883 dealt a mortal blow to Fort Benton and the Grand Union Hotel. The Helena railroad ended the long supremacy of the Benton Road as the Territory’s most important highway. The Canadian railroad more abruptly ended the importance of the Northern roads into Alberta and Saskatchewan from Fort Benton. Business in Fort Benton declined and in early 1884 the hotel failed and was sold at a Sheriff’s sale in May 1884. Operating through Fort Benton’s decline and ascendancy of newly established Great Falls nearby, the hotel suffered and was sold to Mr. J.H. Green and Mr. B.F. O’Neal in 1899 for just $10,000. In 1917, with the world at war and the Homestead land boom on in Montana, local ranchers, Mr. & Mrs. Charles Lepley bought the Grand Union. In just two years, prohibition closed the hotel’s thriving saloon and dry weather, poor crops and falling prices brought on the Great Depression. In 1952, the hotel was sold again this time to Mr. & Mrs. Harold Thomas. In 1986, the hotel was sold at Sheriff’s sale to satisfy debts and the building’s contents were stripped and sold at public auction by the DeBruyckers. The building was then left abandoned pending sale until 1995 when native Montanans, James & Cheryl Gagnon, purchased it with a plan to restore and reopen the century old hotel. PHENOMENA: People claim to hear the sounds of hoof beats on the staircase in the hotel which may not be so far fetched as legend has it a drunken cowpoke rode his horse into the hotel and then upstairs before being shot and killed by the bar manager. Strange blue lights have been seen in room 202 and the figure of a man in a long jacket has been spotted wandering around the building.   GREENOUGH MANSION (MISSOULA) BACKGROUND: The mansion on Rattlesnake Creek was once the house of railroad magnate Thomas Greenough and his family and eventually passed down to Ruth (Greenough) Mosby and her husband Art. It was in its former location for over 100 years, but was in the path of the approaching Interstate 90. It took 15 months, but the three-story house finally found a home in the Mosbys' Leisure Highlands development in the South Hills. There it served in a variety of capacities until burning down in 1992 and was rebuilt into Shadow's Keep restaurant. PHENOMENA: After its owners decided to open it as a restaurant and golf course clubhouse, the spirit of Edith Greenough, Thomas’ daughter, supposedly began calling. Many of the incidents that employees held her responsible for seemed rather prankish, such as exploding glasses in patrons’ hands, a swinging chandelier, flushing toilets, a plummeting dumbwaiter and flickering lights. There was one room that staff nicknamed, “The Edith Room” because patrons would continually argue across the room about otherwise mundane things. Edith may be walking a very fine line with her pranks though as one 80-year-old male guest claimed he was climbing the stone steps up to the main entrance when what he described as a “puff of wind” pushed him back down. The same thing happened a month later when an elderly woman tumbled down the inside stairs and landed at the bottom in a heap. She sat up, said she was OK - as the elderly man did after his fall - and proceeded with her evening. LITTLE BIGHORN BATTLEFIELD NATIONAL MONUMENT (CROW AGENCY) BACKGROUND: Preserves the site of the June 25 and 26, 1876, Battle of the Little Bighorn, near Crow Agency, Montana, in the United States. It also serves as a memorial to those who fought in the battle: George Armstrong Custer's 7th Cavalry and a combined Lakota-Northern Cheyenne and Arapaho force. Custer National Cemetery, on the battlefield, is part of the national monument. The site of a related military action led by Marcus Reno and Frederick Benteen is also part of the national monument, but is about 3 miles southeast of the Little Bighorn battlefield. In 1976, The American Indian Movement (AIM) protested the centennial commemoration of the site, arguing that the site revered Custer and the Battle of Little Big Horn as a part of a heroic saga of American history and expansion into the American West while those who revered it had been truly "celebrating an act of genocide." Markers honoring the Indians who fought at Little Big Horn, including Crazy Horse, have been added to those of the U.S. troops. On Memorial Day, 1999, the first of five red granite markers denoting where warriors fell during the battle were placed on the battlefield for Cheyenne warriors Lame White Man and Noisy Walking. PHENOMENA: On his first night in the two-story home that served as the superintendent’s quarters, one of the first government workers to stay on site awoke in the middle of the night in his second story room when he felt the sensation of someone sitting on the edge of the bed. He reached for his weapon and saw a shadowy apparition of a soldier minus his his head and legs who quickly moved across the room and disappeared into another room. Lights tun themselves on and off when no one is staying at the house. One night, a staff member saw a light on in the second floor. Feeling a bit apprehensive, she asked another employee who lived nearby in a dormitory apartment with his wife, to go to check on the light. When he was upstairs, he heard his wife outside who had come running out of their apartment saying a voice had spoken to her through their TV repeating the words, “Second floor…..second floor…” The sounds of battle still echo and visitors have reported seeing the conflict unfold before their eyes.  A woman's figure has been seen coming down the stairs. Footsteps are heard upstairs when no one is there that are so forceful and pronounced they vibrate through the entire building. This phenomena has been accompanied by doors slamming as if someone is moving through the house. A shadowy figure was once seen walking through a door in the Visitor’s Center after an employee thought a co-worker was just playing a joke on him by hiding in a corner. LOBBY BAR (GREAT FALLS) BACKGROUND: The Lobby Bar on Central Avenue was originally the old Davenport Hotel hat was built in 1914 by J.G. Anthony. During Prohibition, the Lobby Bar was a rumored speakeasy and brothel. It was also called the Jockey Club back in the mid 1930s. PHENOMENA: Employees and guests have experienced glasses mysteriously falling off shelves,the feeling of being tapped on the shoulder and full-bodied apparitions. Patrons will suddenly feel cold chills while enjoying a drink. There are said to be anywhere from 12 to 20 ghosts inhabiting this place. At one point, the daughters of a regular patron who passed away came to the bar to express their thanks to the staff for how they treated their dad. mentioning he had passed away two weeks ago, a security video was produced that showed their father had been in the bar just days earlier. MANY GLACIER HOTEL (GLACIER NATIONAL PARK) BACKGROUND: Construction began at Many Glacier Hotel in 1914 and was finished in just 1 year on July 4, 1915. The Great Northern Railway was establishing a series of hotels and back country chalets in the park and the Many Glacier Hotel was the "Gem of the West". This was part of an effort by Louis W. Hill, president of the Great Northern Railway and son of James J. Hill, to establish Glacier National Park as a destination resort and to promote the area as the "American Alps". To this end, Hill chose a Swiss chalet style for the hotels and chalets. The Glacier Park Lodge (previously known as the Glacier Park Hotel) and the Many Glacier Hotel were intended to be the core structures, while the chalets and campgrounds were sited in the back country within an easy day's ride or hike from one of the hotels or another chalet. The chalets were intended to entice visitors to leave the hotels and see the back country in a more rustic manner. These chalets were especially used during the early 1900s when the Hotel first opened, and the main attraction in the park was horseback riding. In the early days of Many Glacier Hotel only the rich and famous could afford to stay in this beautiful structure and the rustic chalets throughout the area. PHENOMENA: An old winter-keeper, who stayed at the hotel during seasonal closing, claimed he once saw a bathtub full of blood when he was the only living person staying there. There is a distinct odor of strong perfume and the sightings of an old man in a top hat. A young boy witnessed a ghostly woman standing in his room wearing a red dress that simply vanished from sight. Room 308 is said to be a highly active spot with a host of strange noises and many claims of apparitions appearing and disappearing inside or in the general vicinity of the room. MONTANA TERRITORIAL PRISON (DEER LODGE) BACKGROUND: In response to rampant lawlessness and the vigilante-style form of justice present in the newly formed Montana Territory, in 1867 the US Congress allotted $40,000 to Montana for the express purpose of constructing a territorial prison. On 19 November 1867, the territorial government chose Deer Lodge as the site of the facility, and on 2 June 1870, the cornerstone was laid. The original plans for the building called for a structure which held three tiers of fourteen cells, but due to the difficulty of acquiring materials, the cost to ship those materials, and the expense of hiring labor, the new building would house only one of the three tiers. On 2 July 1871, US Marshal William Wheeler took possession of the first nine prisoners to be incarcerated in the facility. It only took a single month before the prison was overcrowded; by August, six more prisoners had arrived. The burgeoning population was quelled somewhat when, in June 1874, another tier of fourteen cells was constructed, and the civilians of Deer Lodge were calmed when a twelve foot board fence went up in 1875. The prison's population continued to grow, so Congress allocated an additional $15,000 for the construction of another tier of cells, but the soft brick of the building could not support any more weight. Instead, the money went into an administration building with guard barracks, a warden's office, and a visitor's reception. Finally, in 1885, $25,000 served to provide the prison with a three story cellblock with 42 double-occupancy cells which was completed in 1886. The Montana Territorial Prison was finally completed to original specifications, just in time to be handed over to the new State of Montana in March 1890. The administration of Warden Frank Conley from 1890 to 1921 instituted extensive inmate labor projects that kept many inmates at work constructing the prison buildings and walls as well as providing various state and community services like road building, logging, and ranching. After Conley left office, the prison experienced almost forty years of degeneration, mismanagement, and monetary restraints until an explosive riot in 1959 captured the attention of the nation. Led by Jerry Myles and Lee Smart, the riot maintained the prison under inmate control for thirty-six hours before the Montana National Guard stormed the institution to restore order. The facility was retired in September 1979, and the inmates were moved to the current prison. PHENOMENA: Visitors and staff report a host of strange activity here such as: shadowy figures moving about the building, phantom footsteps and whispers, various objects that appear to be thrown, physical contact that borders on attack or assault that includes pushing, scratching and choking and feelings of dread and sadness. Apparitions have been seen in prison cells along with the unmistakable sounds of the cell doors slamming shut. One of the more popular spirits here is said to be murderer Paul Eitner aka ‘Turkey Pete’ who spent 50 years in incarceration here. MOSS MANSION (BILLINGS) BACKGROUND: It is a red-stoned mansion built in 1903 by Preston Boyd Moss (P.B. Moss) and his wife, Martha Ursula Woodson Moss, (Mattie). Mr. and Mrs. Moss moved to Billings from Paris, Missouri where, "There was more happening at midnight than at noon in Paris, Missouri.” Moss Mansion was inhabited solely by the Moss’s and their six children, and 3 servants from the time of construction until 1984 at which time a community effort was organized to save the building.  The Moss Mansion was designed by the famous New York City architect Henry Janeway Hardenbergh, who also designed the original Waldorf-Astoria, Plaza Hotel, The Dakota, Williard Hotel, and Copely Hotel. PHENOMENA: The have been claims of a female singing in the Billiards Room along with odd cold breezes and shadowy figures are often reported in the Billiards Room and the lobby area. The ghost of Preston Moss has been seen in various areas but primarily walking down the main staircase and in his former bedroom. A night nurse tending to daughter Melville before her death claimed to see the apparition of what she described as a 6-year-old little girl standing near the master staircase and, the nights before he passing, watching over her in bed. This may be their daughter Virginia who died of diphtheria shortly after her 6th birthday. OPERA HOUSE THEATER (PHILIPSBURG) BACKGROUND: The property where the theater stands was first deeded to the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1876. In July of l891, Angus A. McDonald (Red Mac) and his wife, JoAnna, acquired the land and built the two story McDonald Opera House. It was equipped with a granite foundation, full sod basement, dressing rooms beneath the south end and plumbing! The high loft above the east end was for scenery backdrops. A large auditorium with balcony, side boxes faced with wrought iron, and a spacious stage attracted large audiences. Many famous troupes performed on the stage as well as many not-so-famous, including minstrel shows, dog and pony acts, traveling players, magicians,(the center stage trap door still remains) contortionists, vaudeville acts, local talent, dance revues, class plays and graduations. Frank Horrigan bought the theater in l9l9 and renamed it the Granada. The ornate boxes were taken out, in the name of acoustics, when new sound and projections machines were installed.  A variety of businesses have occupied parts of the building through the years; a soda pop bottling firm, The Philipsburg Commercial Club, a bank, Carmichael’s Livery Stable, and others. http://operahousetheatre.com/our-history/ PHENOMENA: Patrons have reported having their hair pulled by invisible hands and feeling inexplicable cold sensations. There are some claims of full-bodied apparitions appearing in isolated places around the theater. OXFORD SALOON (MISSOULA) BACKGROUND: The exact year and location of the Oxford has eluded almost all researchers to date, but most agree with 1883. The City Directory first lists it in 1907, located at Higgins and Broadway. The worn floors could attest to the hundreds of people who frequented the establishment. Spittoons were nestled along the foot rail of the bar, as well as other strategic places. The clientele; mostly hard working men who came to get a decent meal or drink at a working man’s wages. Intermingled were lawyers, Judges, doctors, University Students, and yes, even a U. S. Senator, later to become an Ambassador to Japan. The ticker tape spits out the various sports score, which were then transferred to a large blackboard. The times were tough, but the Oxford stormed the weather. The Oxford was moved one block north in 1955, to its present location of Higgins and Pine Street. The Time and People Magazines, among a few, have featured the Oxford and its famous gambling machines, food and drink. https://www.the- oxford.com/history-of-the-ox/ PHENOMENA:  One well-documented killing was that of a policeman, named Henry. He was a regular at the Oxford and may have moonlighted as a bouncer. One night there was a fight, and when Henry attempted to break it up, he was knifed and died in the melee. Henry seems to have stuck around, and actually enjoys certain aspects of his ghosthood. He hangs out around the stairs leading to the basement and has been seen many times in the ladies’ restroom. Seen and felt, as many women report being pinched by him. However, Henry always disappears when confronted. The second floor of the Oxford is now rented out as offices, but at least three ghosts seem to remain from the Oxford’s darker days. One is a man in a bowler hat, and the others are two women. Some people believe one is Kathleen, who eventually lived upstairs. She is seen as an older woman, dressed in a purple dress with purple bows. The other woman is Amelia, one of Kathleen’s girls who had been forced into prostitution. Her dead body was found curled up in her closet, and no one was sure whether she committed suicide, or was murdered.  wierdus.com PARIS GIBSON SQUARE MUSEUM OF ARTS (GREAT FALLS) BACKGROUND: The building was constructed in 1896 to house the city's first high school, Great Falls High School (later known as Great Falls Central High School). The high school moved to new quarters in 1931, at which time the building was renamed Paris Gibson Junior High School. The junior high school vacated the premises in 1975 for a new building. In 1977, Paris Gibson Square Museum of Art was formed, and it took ownership of the building. It is one of six museums in the city. PHENOMENA: One of the prominent ghosts residing in the museum is said to be a  boy named “Timmy” who was reputed to have drowned in a pool once located on the premises. His favorite “haunt” seems to be the boiler room where he steals items from workers or plays with the elevator late at night. Keys are often heard jingling with no apparent source. A blond girl is often seen near one particular office in the museum’s basement and the sounds of children playing and feelings of being watched are common claims. POLLARD HOTEL (RED LODGE) BACKGROUND: Certainly a great deal of excitement must have been generated with the construction of Red Lodge's first brick building in 1893. Originally named The Spofford Hotel, The Pollard was built between the train passenger depot and the  booming town. Described by the Livingston Herald as "Handsomely furnished in hand- oiled pine, The Spofford Hotel cost close to $20,000.” Thomas F. Pollard bought the thirty-five room hotel in 1902, renamed it The Pollard and added twenty-five guest rooms, an ornate lobby, an intimate dining room, a lounge with a bar and card and billiard tables, one bowling alley, and full-service barbershop. When the Bell people were arranging the installation of telephones in Red Lodge, one of the "higher up" men got himself into a little trouble one night and found himself jailed. Thomas bailed him out and the "higher up" man was so grateful he Pollard and the hotel the first telephone number in Red Lodge. Famous names such as William Jennings Bryan, the known silver-tongued orator, and William and Marcus Daly, the copper kings, signed the early registers. Buffalo Bill Cody spent many an evening in the lobby swapping tales with local old timers. Calamity Jane would occasionally interrupt the quietness of the hotel with her, well, calamity. https://www.thepollardhotel.com/ourstory PHENOMENA:  The third floor is a particular hot spot with sightings of a woman in a yellow dress accompanied at times by the smell of strong perfume. The light will be turned on in room 310 within minutes even after occupants shut it off and observe it coming back on. In 312, staff will get feelings of dizziness and unease. Guests and employees report seeing both male and female apparitions at various spots in the building. A male spirit spends a great deal of time in the bar area and is described as wearing 1920s-ear clothing and enjoying playing pranks on the living. ST. CHARLES HALL (HELENA) BACKGROUND: The first structure built in 1909 when Carroll College opened its doors. This turn of the century, four-story structure was built with red porphyry stone with a red tile roof. In the early 1900's St. Charles was the dormitory, classrooms, dining hall, library, and faculty offices and residences. Named for St. Charles Borromeo, after whom the college was originally named, as Mount St. Charles College. The building, which began construction in 1909 and had its cornerstone laid by then-U.S. President William Taft, is primarily used as a dormitory today. PHENOMENA: The most well-known activity in St. Charles Hall centers around the fourth floor men's bathroom. In 1964 a student blacked out while brushing his teeth and hit his head on a sink in the bathroom, causing hemorrhaging in his brain. He was treated at a local hospital, but died of pneumonia a few weeks later. Shortly after, students using the same bathroom began reporting strange occurrences. Some would say that while brushing their teeth or washing their faces, they would glance at the mirror and see a young man with a head wound standing behind them. Some claimed they would turn on the faucet, only to find blood flowing out instead of water. There are also reports of heavy breathing being heard and a blood stain on the floor that just wouldn't wash away. After several years of these reports, the bathroom was locked up, as it remains today. There have been rumors of scraping sounds coming from inside the bathroom. Other stories persist about a student jumping out of a window to commit suicide, with some students claiming to see the event replay itself on certain nights. Legends claim that several priests died in different manners in the building and still haunt the place, but none of these stories, other than the student who hit his head, have been verified. https://billingsgazette.com/st-charles-hall-carroll-college-helena/image_20b5c1c6-43eb-531f-8f9b- 0e6cf586e644.html SACAJAWEA HOTEL (THREE FORKS) BACKGROUND: Built in 1910, the hotel served passengers on the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad, which terminated in Three Forks until 1927, when the line was extended to Gallatin Gateway. The original building was the Madison Hotel, built in 1862 on the original Three Forks town site, and moved on log rollers a mile to its present location. At the time, the Milwaukee Depot was across the street, though the railroad That building now is the eastern portion of the current structure, housing support facilities. In 1910, the main lobby and 29 rooms were constructed by railroad agent John Q. Adams, who hired architect Fred Willson to create a grand but warm and welcoming design. The condition of the hotel had declined significantly by the 1990s. In 2002 it was put up for sale and was bought in 2009 by the Folkvord family, which owns the bread company Wheat Montana. The hotel was closed for seven months for renovation, was refurbished and reopened. The hotel now includes a bar in the basement, restaurant with bar and adjoining meeting room, and 29 hotel rooms. They also offer bicycles for use on a trail that was created from one of the abandoned railroad trails. The Indian woman Sacagawea is best known as the interpreter and guide for the Lewis and Clark Expedition. In 1800, she was captured by the Mennetaree tribe near the present site of Three Forks. She later returned to this area with Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery. PHENOMENA: It’s said John Q. Adams still remains at his hotel and his presence is often felt in guest rooms and hallways. He has been known to walk right past people or show up in their rooms. A ghostly maid is said to haunt the hotel with an icy presence and the ability to repeatedly walk right through a third floor wall that was once a linen closet. On a few occasions, police have been called to the hotel as a result of otherwordly activity, but as one can imagine, they typically find nothing out of the ordinary. VIRGINIA CITY BACKGROUND: In May 1863, a group of prospectors were headed toward the Yellowstone River and instead came upon a party of the Crow tribe and was forced to return to Bannack. On May 26, 1863, Bill Fairweather and Henry Edgar discovered gold near Alder Creek. The prospectors could not keep the site a secret and were followed on their return to the gold bearing site. A mining district was set up in order to formulate rules about individual gold claims. On June 16, 1863 under the name of "Verina" the township was formed a mile south of the gold fields. The name was intended to honor Varina Howell Davis, the first and only First Lady of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. Verina, although in Union territory, was founded by men whose loyalties were thoroughly Confederate. Upon registration of the name, a Connecticut judge, G. G. Bissell, objected to their choice and recorded it as Virginia City. Within weeks Virginia City was a boomtown of thousands of prospectors and fortune seekers in the midst of a gold rush. The remote region of the Idaho Territory was without law enforcement or justice system with the exception of miners' courts. In late 1863, the great wealth in the region, lack of a justice system and the insecure means of travel gave rise to serious criminal activity, especially robbery and murder along the trails and roads of the region. Road agents as they became known were ultimately responsible for up to 100 deaths in the region in 1863 and 1864. PHENOMENA: One home in town is named “Lightening Splitter” because of its extremely pitched roof and at least one resident has told of times where it sounds as though someone is moving around down in the kitchen in the wee hours of morning. One former resident reported seeing a ghost sitting in a chair. Another said the kitchen telephone would ring while others in the house wouldn’t, and there was never anyone on the line. Another had children who were scared to sleep upstairs because they would come home to find their beds and furniture shifted around. There is supposedly a ghostly nun named “Sister Irene” who walks the streets at night or looks in at residents through their windows. She has also been seen at the Bonanza Inn, which was once a hospital and is also a paranormal hotspot with windows, drawers and doors opening by themselves and a running litany of guests unable to spend an entire night there. She will also sit with guests in their rooms as though comforting them and has been seen sitting in a pew at the Episcopal Church. Guests at the Bonanza have also experienced the apparition of a man wearing a brimmed hat and a duster standing at the foot of the bed or peering through the window at them in room 1. At the Vigilante Theater and on Idaho St., the spirit of a little girl named Martha has been spotted. One legend concerns the ghost of Virginia Slade, who is seen riding a phantom horse ostensibly racing to save her husband from a hanging. A woman named Amanda McKeen was said to have shot herself in the bathtub of her home and years later one resident of the home claimed to have seen the apparition of a body in her bathtub. http://www.distinctlymontana.com/montana-town/09/08/2011/virginia-city BACK TO TO PARANORMAL DATABASE
TWITTER