THE PARANORMAL WORLD DATABASE       GEORGIA   1790 RESTAURANT (SAVANNAH) 17 Hundred 90 Restaurant and Inn is the oldest hotel in Savannah, built in 1820 by a Virginia planner, Steele White, to be a boarding house. Unfortunately, White was killed in a riding accident even before this building was finished and sometime in its history it turned from a boarding house into a hotel, with the name 17 Hundred 90 in its title. The most well-known ghost at the 1790 Inn is the ghost of “Anne”. She has been seen on the top floor of the inn, in Room 204 . She seems to enjoy toying with people and their belongings as guests who stay in 204 regularly report having their belongings disturbed, rearranged or come up missing. Sometimes the phone will ring in the room with no one on the other end and people say they feel the presence of Anne while staying overnight. Sheets have been tugged by an unseen force and the sobs of a woman crying have emanated from the dark corners of the room after the lights go out. Another ghost which has been reported at the 1790 over the years seems to have taken up residence in the kitchen and is much more sinister in nature than Anne’s. Apparently the entity isn't very fond of women being in the kitchen. Pots have been thrown, people have been pushed or touched, and pranks have been pulled on women who are working in or around the area. While all alone in the 1790, staff will hear the sounds of someone moving around, pots banging together and the sound of metal jingling. The staff believes this is the ghost of a servant who lived in the house and used to serve the family and is believed to have been a practitioner of Voodoo. ANDERSONVILLE NATIONAL HISTORICAL SITE (ANDERSONVILLE) From February 1864 until the end of the American Civil War in April 1865, Andersonville served as the site of a notorious Confederate military prison. Officially called Camp Sumter, it was the South’s largest prison for captured Union soldiers and known for its unhealthy conditions and high death rate. In all, approximately 13,000 Union prisoners perished at Andersonville and following the war its commander, Captain Henry Wirz, was tried, convicted and executed for war crimes. The ghosts that are said to linger at the site of this Georgia prison seem to be reliving the torment and despair that they experienced in captivity. In the evening and night time hours, it is not at all unusual to hear echoes of guns firing and many experience extreme degrees of fear and emotional devastation. Visitors have reported hearing loud cries, faint whispers and whimpers, and yelling while exploring this part of the Andersonville National Historic Site. Many individuals encounter a smell that is foul and breathtaking which reflects the unsanitary conditions there. In addition to this, distinct figures have been noted walking in the fog that cascades upon the grounds of the haunted Georgia prison site. The ghost of Henry Wirz is also said to wander the roads around Andersonville. ANTEBELLUM PLANTATION (STONE MOUNTAIN) Several buildings have been moved onto the plantation which has become a museum and tourist attraction. A young girl’s spirit is said to haunt the slave quarters and there is a young boy who wanders the grounds. Additionally, visitors report an overwhelming feeling of sadness as they walk the plantation and in the barn, people speak of the feeling of being watched. The Thornton House, the oldest restored home in Georgia, was built in 1784 and has been moved several times. It’s now located within Stone Mountain Park. The ghost of a preteen girl who is said to have died from polio has been spotted on the stairs and has been known to pull the hair of teenage girls who visit the home. Staff members and guests are reported to have spotted her. In addition, candles will blow out throughout the home, even without the presence of breezes. B. MATTHEWS EATERY (SAVANNAH) The restaurant is recognized as one of the oldest public taverns still existing in America today. The building’s date listed in tax records is 1790, but documentation on the building reflects its sale in 1791. The eatery’s basement was allegedly once used for slave smuggling, as is evidenced by the old iron tether rings set into the basement floor. As far as the supernatural, there seems to be a mischievous bent to the ghostly happenings going on here. One of the owners was presented with a expensive knife set to commemorate the restaurant’s opening but shortly after the knives were given, two of them disappeared and it was thought someone had made off with them. Finally the knives were found in plain sight embedded in the wooden floor behind the bar. A portion scale also went missing at one point and when an extensive search turned up no sign of the expensive item a new one was purchased. Upon installation, the old one was found sitting in the middle of a table, impossible to have been missed by anyone. During renovations, tools and toolboxes would go missing for hours only to show up in clear view someplace that had already been checked. Salt and pepper shakers have been thrown across the restaurant with such force they slammed against a wall. Feelings of uneasiness sometimes affect people when they venture into the basement and a presence has been felt after hours when staff are cleaning. It is so pronounced that it has been spoken to and at one point asked for help. BALLASTONE INN (SAVANNAH) In the fall of 1733, General James Oglethorpe founded the original settlement of Savannah and this historic inn resides on land that formed part of the settlement’s southern boundary. It was inherited by Major George W. Anderson, commanding officer at Fort McAllister which fell to General Sherman in 1864. He used the residence as a townhouse while maintaining Lebanon Plantation south of the city. Some reports say the ghost of Sarah Anderson, the original owner's wife, has made her presence known here. She has been seen in the hallways of the second floor, in the elevators, the laundry room and near the front door. Before it was an inn, the private home was also a boarding house and a bordello. It is built directly over a former cemetery. BARNSLEY RESORT (ADAIRSVILLE) The original manor at Barnsley Resort was built by Godfrey Barnsley for his wife Julia. Although he was warned by an old Cherokee man that the land was sacred to the tribe and if he built there he would be cursed, he moved forward anyway. Before it was completed, Julia fell ill and died, and Barnsley suspended its construction. Later, he said he felt her presence at the site telling him to finish the house for him and his children. During the Civil War, the mansion had been the site of a battle, and much of the house and Barnsley's possessions were ransacked by the Union Army. He lost his fortune during the war and later moved to New Orleans before he died in 1873. Barnsley descendants continued to live at Woodlands until the roof of the main house was blown off by a tornado in 1906. Granddaughter, Miss Addie and her family who were living there at the time, moved into the kitchen wing and the main house was never restored eventually falling to ruins. Many people have spotted Julia’s ghost wandering around the gardens, particularly near the fountain. The ghost of a Confederate soldier who might be Colonel Robert Earle, who was shot and killed in the garden has been seen there on numerous occasions by curious visitors. What remains of the once impressive mansion is also haunted by one of Barnsley’s descendants. According to reports the individual was shot and killed in 1935 on the property. At The Rice House, some have reported seeing a man in a suit and a top hat standing with his arms crossed, staring. Others have reported hearing doors opening and closing in the middle of the night and many have mentioned seeing a small girl flickering the lights in the attic of the Adair House. Some employees have also said they left toys in one part of the attic and when they returned the toys were in a different place, as if someone had played with them BONAVENTURE CEMETERY (SAVANNAH) Located along the Wilmington River, Bonaventure Cemetery is known for its gorgeous magnolia, dogwood and live oaks, colorful azaleas and interesting and eclectic tombstones making the 150-year-old burial ground one of the most photographed in the country. Made famous for its role on the cover of the bestselling book and subsequent motion picture, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Bonaventure is a must-see stop for tourists. Among all the natural beauty, there’s also a supernatural side to the cemetery that draws in ghost enthusiasts and curious visitors from all over the world. The most well known spirit here is that of little Gracie Watson who died of pneumonia at 6-years-old. A statue that was carved in her honor stands in front of her grave site and many people place coins and toys at its base. Those who’ve stood close to her grave site have reported seeing the beautiful little girl and others have said they have actually seen tears of blood streaming down from the angel’s eyes. Bonaventure has several other elaborate statues and guests have relayed accounts of them grimacing or smiling at them when they stood in front of them. The cemetery is not without its spooky or inexplicable sounds, like that of a baby crying near an infant’s grave, children giggling and perhaps the most disturbing, the sounds of a pack of dogs snarling and barking angrily. No one has ever seen the dogs but many have heard them. CASWELL HOUSE (NEWNAN) The Caswell House dates back to the early 1900's and had many owners over the years, but names and dates are difficult to come by. The house has become a slave museum and the headquarters for the African American Alliance of Coweta County. The house was moved from its original location a few years ago and now sits next to an old slave cemetery. It is believed that pagan (or even satanic) ceremonies took place in the old shotgun house in the 1980s and the house may now be occupied by the spirit of Ruby Caswell and her brother Hoyt. The house is now protected by Aunt Ruby (as she was affectionately known) as she fights to clean it of evil, and it’s believed that she’s proud of the home's new use as a museum. It’s said that children visiting the museum will often be seen “playing” with an unseen woman who may be Ruby who loved children. CHETOOGETA TUNNEL (TUNNEL HILL) Chetoogeta Mountain stood in the way of connecting Atlanta and Chattanooga via a railroad system so plans for a tunnel began in the late 1830s, but construction was delayed for almost a decade. The railroad was intended to provide passenger and freight services by hauling the freight and allowing passengers to walk over the mountain. The tunnel itself measured 1,477 feet long and was considered an engineering wonder of its time. The area surrounding the tunnel was known as a prominent site of Civil War battles and the tunnel itself has seen its share of tragedy. Witnesses have described apparitions of soldiers sitting around campfires, lantern lights, phantom campfires, blood-curdling screams and at times, the smell of rotting flesh. The activity has escalated to the point that in one particular area some of the reenactors who stage historical battles won't return. Apparitions are most commonly described as dark figures in human form whose faces are hard to distinguish. One night a Confederate soldier walked out of the fog beside a reenactor who was sitting in a firing position. The reenactor thought it was a buddy until the solider vanished before his eyes. On another occasion a group saw a Yankee solider lying beside the road at the campsite with his head lying on a backpack, apparently asleep. The group carefully walked by him in an effort not to wake him, only to look back and see him gone. CHICKAMAUGA NATIONAL PARK (CHICKAMAUGA) The most famous ghost to inhabit the Chickamauga Battlefield is a spirit by the name of “Ol’ Green Eyes” or “Chickamauga Green Eyes”. Legend has it the green-eyed apparition who roams the grounds at Chickamauga was once a confederate soldier whose head was blown off by a cannon ball. A stampede of horses rode by, squashing the officer’s head and carrying it with them for several yards. Soldiers discovered his “headless trunk” after the incident and buried him without his destroyed skull. Now its said his spirit roams the former battlefield on horseback searching for it. The identity of the headless ghost vary, but it’s allegedly the ghost of Lt. Colonel Julius Garesché. Others believe that it isn’t a slain soldier but an inhuman entity who haunted the area long before the war. A ghostly lady in white has also been reported roaming around the park and according to legend, her husband died in battle, and she now spends eternity searching for his body. Observers maintain that this lady tends to wander in and out of the grave sites and wandering the fields before slipping into the woods and vanishing from sight at all hours of the day and night. Some visitors also report seeing strange, flickering lights off in the distance and it’s believed that these lights are ghostly lanterns carried by wives and fiancées searching for their dead and wounded loves. Additionally, visitors sometimes report feeling watched in the area, especially in the woods at night. COLONIAL PARK CEMETERY (SAVANNAH) The cemetery is located in the center of Savannah’s famed Historic District. The 10,000 souls that are buried here in the 250 acre property are primarily victims of fire, disease, murder or war. Most other burial grounds from that time period have all been covered over, built upon or paved. The story of Rene Rondolier is the most famous ghost story here. At 7 feet tall, he is said to be seen walking through the cemetery or hanging from one particular tree where he was allegedly executed after killing two small girls in the cemetery. The problem with this story is there is no record of him in any history books. Another legend tells of a maid at the Old City Hotel who was found in tears at the gates of the cemetery because the young man she was with had walked onto the grounds and disappeared. Visitors also report shadowy figures and mists that appear to take human form. A popular video is in circulation of a small boy walking between the headstones and appearing to vanish. Before Colonial Park Cemetery was closed at night it wasn’t uncommon for early morning visitors to find the remnants of Voodoo ceremonies performed the night before with the soil from the graves used in certain rituals. In addition to the soil, graves were sometimes raided in order to obtain human bones. It’s also said that the playground next to the cemetery was the site of Savannah’s dueling grounds. ELLIS HOTEL (ATLANTA) Formerly known as the Winecoff Hotel, the Ellis has a rather dark claim to fame. It is notorious for being the site of a horrific fire on Dec 7, 1946 which claimed the lives of 119 people. The scale of the tragedy was such that the hotel was dubbed ‘The Titanic of Peachtree’, largely due to claims from the owners when it opened in 1913 (one year after the Titanic sank) that is was ‘fireproof’ just as the Titanic was portrayed as “unsinkable”. Many of those who died in the fire were burned alive or died of asphyxiation as the single staircase inside acted as a chimney and carried toxic smoke to the upper floors, but a large number also lost their lives as they jumped to their deaths from the windows in an attempt to escape the flames. The hotel was immediately closed and lay empty for many years before reopening as The Ellis. Given the amount of death that the Ellis Hotel has seen, it is no surprise that it is considered one of the most haunted hotels in Atlanta and both staff and guests have reported some terrifying paranormal activity throughout it. There are frequent sightings of various apparitions and it is common for people to hear what they describe as the heartbreaking screams of women and children, thought to be a residual energy from the past. Another common occurrence is for the hotel’s fire alarm to be triggered at 2:48 am, the exact time that the blaze broke out in 1946. The fire remains one of the deadliest hotel fires in history and was responsible for a major revamp of the building code. FACTOR’S WALK (SAVANNAH) Back in the mid-1800's, Savannah was the leading exporter of cotton in the entire world which is how Factors' Walk got its name as those who set prices for cotton and other exports were called “Factors” who made decisions decisions that affected economies around the world. It was also through this area in the 1700s and 1800s that hundreds, if not thousands, of slaves were unloaded from ships and marched into buildings along River Street then led out the back of the buildings onto Factors' Walk. While not accessible anymore, the tunnels located in the Factors’ Walk area have been known to send ghastly moans into the still night air and like many areas in Savannah, shadow-like forms are often seen moving about at night. These black, “darker than dark” figures take human shape as they wander silently through the cobblestone-lined streets of Factor's Walk. Several apparitions have been seen with Melonie’s Antique Shop in particular hosting a mischievous poltergeist who commits the ultimate sin in the antiques business by breaking the merchandise. At Melonie’s, there was a report of a woman in blue who walked into the shop multiple times and each time literally disappearing. Strange footsteps come from an area where a staircase was once located, but had been sealed up in a long-ago renovation and doorknobs have turned on their own on numerous occasions. When investigated, all that was discovered was an empty room on the other side. Small, breakable objects will smash, as if thrown by an unseen hand with the item usually found several yards from its original place. FORT PULASKI (SAVANNAH) The fortification was built using more than 25 million “Savanna Gray” and “Rose Red” bricks and completed in 1847. Early in the Civil War, the Union Navy blockaded the Confederate coastline in an attempt to cut all foreign trade and economic aid to the South. Fort Pulaski protected Savannah’s prosperous seaport as well as the smugglers who dared to challenge Union guns to bring weapons, medicine and even liquor to the beleaguered Southern army. In 1861, Confederate militia under the command of Colonel Charles H. Olmstead occupied Fort Pulaski, located on Cockspur Island. In the spring of 1862, Federal troops under the command of General David Hunter, landed on nearby Tybee Island unopposed by the Confederates who watched from 8,000 yards away. Over the next two months, Union troops positioned 36 pieces of heavy artillery on Tybee Island and it would be the first successful test of the Union Army’s new rifled cannon that would lead to the eventual downfall of masonry fortifications. In the late 1980’s, actors involved in the filming of the movie Glory which starred Morgan Freeman, Mathew Broderick and Denzel Washington, visited Fort Pulaski while en route to the movie set. While exploring the fort, a young man wearing a Confederate lieutenant’s uniform approached them and began to reprimand them for not saluting him upon his approach. He then ordered the re-enactors to fall into formation as a Yankee attack was imminent. The actors wanted to put on a show for other visitors in the fort at the time, so they decided to follow the lieutenant’s commands. The lieutenant ordered the actors to face about (turn away from him), which they did without question. This was the last time they would ever see the brash officer again as, according to the actors, the young man just disappeared and was never seen again. For many years the staff, off of the record, have confirmed the sightings of ghosts inside the powder rooms and other enclosed areas or people feeling a cold hand grab them. Guards of both Union and Confederate troops have been seen here, most often just standing still and staring out over the grounds, as if awaiting battle. There are also many parts of the fort where some people have been overcome by intense fear or sadness to the point they have actually burst into tears or had to flee the area. GAITHER PLANTATION (COVINGTON) The home was built by William Hulbert Gaither, who lived there with his wife Cecelia and their children. The cotton plantation sat on 875-acres of property in Newton and Jasper counties and was home to more than 130 slaves. The area was so large it was once called the "Gaither’s District." It was also the site of social gatherings and the Gaither family was a popular one throughout Newton County until tragedy struck in 1888 when Gaither’s son Henry killed a neighboring farmer with a blow to the head after an altercation over a fire that destroyed several of the neighbor’s turkey nests. He fled Newton County when a warrant was issued for his arrest, never to return. People sometimes report the face of a woman in the attic window and other times someone looking out of the downstairs window, but there is never anyone there when staff members check. In the dining room on the main floor, the doors on the buffet open and close periodically and the caretaker has reported seeing shadows while cleaning. In the attic, where the Gaithers were said to hide Confederate soldiers, music can be heard, as well as footsteps and reports of hearing women arguing. The handle on the indoor well located on the ground floor of the home has been seen turning without assistance and in the second floor bedroom which belonged to Cecelia, the pages of her Bible have been seen turning, to say nothing of the rocking chair in the corner that’s rumored to rock with no provocation. Occasionally there have been reports of people who have seen Cecelia sitting in the chair and rocking a baby. Other people have reported hearing doors open and close and a pair of boots that belonged to William Gaither  will move from one room to the other. “Shadow people" believed to be the spirits of soldiers can be seen walking the grounds and on occasion, people have reported smelling pipe tobacco and a flowery perfume in the upstairs bedrooms. The Tyler Perry movie Madea’s Family Reunion was shot at the home and grounds and when the director asked for quiet, footsteps were heard upstairs. When an assistant went up to check, he found no one up there. This happened three times before the director asked the ghost to remain quiet, after which the scene went off without a hitch. During filming of the TV show, Vampire Diaries, a similar event happened according to star Nina Dobrov. Dobrev says several creepy, unexplained events took place during the 2010 shoot, including to the dismay of the director, a piano seemingly playing on its own. At another point, the lights began flickering while she was in the bathroom and at first she thought her co-stars were playing tricks on her, but she saw no oe near by and "the lights were just spontaneously coming on and off." The plantation was also investigated by SyFy’s Ghost Hunters. HAY HOUSE (MACON) Two families lived in Hay House, the first of those spanning four generations. Most of the home's present-day furnishings date from the Hay family's occupancy (1926–1962) but a few pieces are from the Johnston family (1860–1896), most notably the Eastlake-style dining room suite. The most notable piece in the collection may be the 1857 marble statue, "Ruth Gleaning," by American expatriate sculptor Randolph Rogers. The home was a place of comfort for the Johnston family and their daughters until the late 1800s. In 1896 after Mrs. Johnston’s death, their daughter Mary Ellen Felton and her husband lived in the home updating the plumbing and electricity and remaining there until their deaths in 1926. Both staff and visitors have reported a range of paranormal activity but the most common is the apparition of a mysterious, elderly woman dressed in an 1800s gown roaming the hallways. There are also claims of unexplained cold spots on the stairs and footsteps in empty hallways. Doors will slam shut on their own and people report the unsettling feeling of someone breathing over their shoulder as well as the sound of moaning coming from the master bedroom. JEKYLL ISLAND CLUB (JEKYLL ISLAND) Opened in 1888, this was an incredibly exclusive resort with only 100 members comprised of America’s Gilded Age wealthy which made it a halcyon destination. Members included J.P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer, William K. Vanderbilt, William Rockefeller and it was the site of famous historical events, like the first transcontinental phone call from the President of AT&T Theodore Vail to Woodrow Wilson, Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas A. Watson in 1915. Legislation that outlined the formation of the Federal Reserve was drafted here in 1910. After surviving the Great Depression, it was World War II that dealt the death blow to the Jekyll Island Club and it closed permanently in 1942. It was purchased by the state in 1947 and began its ongoing operations as a private hotel in the 1980s. One of the ghosts said to haunt their former elitist paradise is Samuel Spencer, a railroad magnate who was killed in a train collision in 1906. Guests in apartment 8 often report their coffee cups and daily papers being mysteriously moved about or to find coffee poured or drank when left unattended. There’s a 1920s-era bellman who is known for checking up on grooms preparing for their weddings and hand delivering their from the dry cleaners to them personally when in reality, an employee had simply left the clothes hanging outside the room.  J.P. Morgan owned rooms in the Sans Souci building, and those who stay in them occasionally catch a whiff of his cigar smoke. JULIETTE GORDON LOW HOUSE (SAVANNAH) Built in 1848 for a wealthy cotton merchant from Scotland named Andrew Low, the house is a classic and elegant Savannah mansion surrounded by a dry moat and featuring some of the finest ironwork in the city. The house was designed and built by New York architect John Norris and the stucco-brick mansion was completed in 1849. It later belonged to Andrew’s son, William, who married Juliette Gordon, who founded Girl Scouts USA. She lived there until her death in 1927, bequeathing the mansion’s carriage house to the local Girl Scouts chapter. The Colonial Dames of Georgia purchased the actual home from her estate in 1928. Several who have worked in or visited the house have reported varying levels of paranormal activity, including the home’s longtime housekeeper who said that she has smelled a “strange, sweet perfume” on the grand staircase. The mansion is also reputedly home to several apparitions, one of whom is said to be Andrew Low’s longtime butler, Tom, whose footsteps can be heard throughout the house just as they were when he performed his duties. His ghost is clad in period clothing and has been observed standing at the top of the main staircase. A rocking chair owned by the family and displayed in one of the bedrooms moves by itself with no visible sign of anyone near it. There have also been reported sightings of the ghost of General Lee as well as a woman lying on one of the beds that is thought to be an apparition of Juliette on her deathbed. KEHOE HOUSE (SAVANNAH) It was in 1892 that William Kehoe, an enterprising man of Irish descent who made his fortune in iron and ultimately became one of Savannah's most prominent and successful businessmen, built this Queen Ann mansion. $25,000 was spent on the construction of the house and it became a showcase for his iron business as much of the detail trim, window casings and ornate columns were made of iron. The Kehoe family consisted of 10 children and their home also housed the Goette Funeral Home. Rumor has it that two of the children died in the house but this cannot be substantiated tough this “factoid” is repeated often on the Savannah's haunted pub craws and ghost tours. Another oft-told but likely false legends surrounding their death is they had somehow gotten stuck in a chimney and when their father found them there, were already dead. Guests often report the sounds of children laughing and playing in the empty hallways while others claim that in rooms 201 and 203 someone has sat on their beds, leaving indentations and body warmth. The smell of perfumes have made their way through the hallways or bedrooms of this haunted bed & breakfast and guests of the Kehoe House very often report the feeling of someone touching them while they sleep. KENNESAW MOUNTAIN NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD (KENNESAW) The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain during the Civil War played out from mid-June to early July of 1864. Union forces were defeated there, but their loss did not stop Gen. William T. Sherman’s march south to Atlanta. Thousands of Confederate and Union soldiers lost their lives on the 2,888-acre National Battlefield in Kennesaw as more than 67,000 soldiers were killed, wounded and captured during the fight. There have been reports of ghostly soldiers seen wandering throughout the battlefield as well as the residual sounds of cannon fire and gunshots. MARSHALL HOUSE (SAVANNAH) During the railroad boom of the 1840s and 1850s Savannah doubled in size and population. Seeing a need for accommodations and housing, businesswoman Mary Marshall developed several properties in Savannah, most notably the iconic Marshall House hotel in 1851. Marshall and her estate leased and collected rents from The Marshall House until 1914. The hotel’s colorful history spans 167 years and includes roles as a hospital during the Yellow Fever Epidemics in the mid-1800s and a Union hospital during the final months of the Civil War. It was also home to Joel Chandler Harris, author of the famous Uncle Remus stories during the Reconstruction Period. Eerie occurrences include faucets that turn on and off, lights that inexplicably flicker, electronic items powering themselves, toilets suddenly overflowing for no apparent reason and disembodied voices that echo throughout the halls. In the fourth floor hallway, loud noises are heard during the early morning hours, resembling the thundering of a heavy object crashing to the ground. One day a young girl who was staying at the hotel with her father pointed to the picture of Mary Marshall and told her father that she had seen the lady in the hallway. Door knobs to the rooms tend to wiggle as if someone is attempting to enter the room. Others tell of a dapper gentleman reading a book by a window, a lady in white flowing through the hallways, and another ghostly woman who haunts the ladies’ restroom who on occasion will lock the stall. There are countless tales of apparitions of small children and the sounds of crying babies that have been regularly reported by guests at the famous hotel. The spirits of these children are known to linger around the Marshall House, as the laughter and playful voices of the children can be heard within the building at any given moment. Sometimes, these ghostly children can be seen skipping, running and playing games through the hallway. Numerous guests have given accounts of ghosts of amputee soldiers who walk vacantly and aimlessly throughout the hotel. MASQUERADE NIGHTCLUB (ATLANTA) The building where the Masquerade Nightclub stands today was once the Dupre Excelsior Mill. It is believed it was built as early as 1890 by the Dupre Manufacturing Company and expanded after the Depression, but after WWII the demand for production was reduced and by the 1960s there was little demand at all. The mill was then transformed into a storage facility and by 1977 was shut down completely. It became a pizzeria in 1978 and closed again by 1989 but subsequently reopened as the nightclub that exists today. There have been countless stories of hauntings in the club with one popular story being that of a large and tall black man who is always seen walking about the nightclub and whom the staff believes is responsible for moving the music amplifiers at night. The staff has also reported hearing footsteps from unidentified sources, as well as cold spots all throughout the building. Horrifying screams can be heard coming from the back of the stairs when there is no one there that are believed to be those of a young woman who died some years ago in a freakish accident in the nightclub. Today, there are rumors that actual vampires frequent the club and perhaps even live there. There is also a belief that this rumor has been intentionally spread to promote business as vampires have become suddenly very popular thanks to Anne Rice and the movie Twilight. As a result, there is likely a better chance of visitors encountering faux vampires than real ones when they enter. MOON RIVER BREWING CO. (SAVANNAH) The original building was constructed in 1821 by Elazer Early and was known as The City Hotel. Savannah's more prominent and wealthy residents regularly gathered there to share in fine spirits which were imported from all over the globe. A number of notable guests stayed at the hotel throughout the years, including James Audubon whose stay there spanned more than six months. City Hotel hosted its last guest in 1864, right before General Sherman claimed the city in his famous “March to the Sea” during the Civil War. Before becoming home to the Moon River Brewing Company it was used as a hospital, storage space, an office supply store and then sat vacant for almost 20 years until is was purchased in 1995. The most famous ghost there, the one the staff calls 'Toby', is often seen in the basement, moving silently through the dark. Visitors and staff also often report the sound of disembodied voices there. On the first floor, bottles have been thrown at staff, sounds of children playing have been heard and shadows dart about the rooms. The second floor of the building is where the infamous shooting of James Stark took place. He was killed by physician Phillip Minas over an argument and it’s said his ghost still roams that floor. Some of the more annoying spirits there have blocked ladies room stall doors and grabbed their legs at the bar. Visitors claim they’ve seen a woman in period clothing at the top of the stairs staring down at them and it’s not unusual for folks to feel like someone bumped into them or touched their faces, even though when they turn to find the offender, no one is there. On the upper floors, all manner of paranormal phenomena have been reported. The infamous Moon River 'Lady in White' is often seen up there and people have reported being pushed down the stairs. Construction crews during the Oglethorpe Brewery days reportedly were chased away by unseen forces. The fourth floor seems to harbor a darker energy and is also where a makeshift hospital was set up during a yellow fever outbreak. The brewery has been featured on the Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures TV shows. OLD GOVERNOR’S MANSION (MILLEDGEVILLE) The mansion was home to 10 governors and their families from 1839-1868 and was occupied by General Sherman during his “March to the Sea”. It now stands as the oldest structure on the Georgia College and State University’s campus and had served host to past college and university presidents until it was reestablished as a museum. Students and visitors claim to see lights flickering on and off, beds unmade when no one has slept in them, the smell of freshly baked food coming from the basement and ground floor and flashes of the apparition of a woman dressed in 1800-period style clothes in the State Dining Room. ORANGE HALL (ST. MARY’S) It’s assumed that Orange Hall was the first example of Greek Revival design in Americaand there is no more shining example of this style in the Antebellum South whose name is derived from the orange trees that surrounded the house. The original owner was the town’s Presbyterian minister, Horace Pratt, whose first wife died at the young age of 29. Pratt remarried and named their first daughter Jane after his deceased wife. Little Jane whom he loved so dearly, contracted yellow fever at age six and died as a result. There have been many reports of spirits, strange sounds, disembodied voices and unexplained phenomena at the old mansion over the years. Orange Hall is said to be haunted by three spirits: one of an old man, an old woman, and a young girl of about 6 or 8 years old who may be young Jane Pratt who is mainly seen playing with a doll in her old bedroom. THE OLDE PINK HOUSE (SAVANNAH) Construction of the building began in 1771 by the Habersham family. The house at one point was occupied by the British during the Revolutionary War as well as the Union Army during the Civil War and would survive the War of 1812 as well as the devastating Savannah Fire. It earned its unusual name because the color of the underlying red brick would repeatedly bleed through the overcoat of white plaster creating a pink tint. Subsequent owners simply gave up trying to hide it and just painted the entire exterior pink. The most commonly seen spirit there is James Habersham Jr. who has been glimpsed by staff and guests dressed in colonial garb. He is often seen drinking ale and has been blamed for lighting candles in the building. Known as a very fastidious man, he will often straighten table settings and put chairs into their proper places. On occasion a server will leave her station disheveled and return with no one else around to see everything in order. Occasionally the mournful cries of a female spirit are heard on the second floor when no one else is up there and Planters Tavern, located in the basement, is haunted by children’s spirits. These are thought to be those of slave children who perished in fires or illnesses such as Yellow Fever. They like to lock women in the bathroom and management has had such a difficult time with this phenomena that they’ve removed the locks from the doors. Despite this, women are still getting stuck in the stalls with an unseen force holding doors closed. PIRATE’S HOUSE (SAVANNAH) Built in 1753, it was consolidated into the oldest house in the entire state and The American Museum Society designated it as a “house museum” because of the ongoing efforts to restore it to its original state. Back then, sailing was a dangerous profession and to that end crewmen came and went quickly and their spots always had to be filled. In places like The Pirates’ House’s Captain’s Room, captains and crewmen would often get prospective crew members drunk, drug them, or simply knock them unconscious and then drag them down the long brick tunnel to a waiting ship where for all intents and purposes they would become slaves on the high seas. Laughter is often heard coming from the unoccupied upstairs and many people have reported seeing a scarred and ragged looking privateer (nicknamed “Captain Flint”) in the upstairs or basement areas. The first floor is the stomping grounds of a very brusque sailor who hangs around the stairway while another disgruntled spirit appears just briefly enough to shoot a menacing look at the cook before vanishing. In a first-floor dining area, chairs are rearranged constantly and phantom boot steps are quite often heard. Some staff have reported feeling physically ill as soon as they report to work at The Pirates’ House. RHODES HALL (ATLANTA) Built in 1904, at the height of America’s fascination with electricity, furniture magnate Amos Giles Rhodes installed some 300 light bulbs throughout his home, ensuring that its gilded rooms glittered on the darkest of nights. Locals may have called it a castle but Rhodes and his wife Amanda called their home “La Rêve,” or “The Dream.” At the time, construction of their dream home cost $50,000. In addition to the electricity that coursed through its halls, Rhodes Hall was also outfitted with an electric call button in most rooms and a security system. Amanda passed away in 1927 and her obituary reportedly stated that she died after “suffering a long illness,” with the cause of death listed as “senility.” Amos died just a year later, but it’s said the spirits of the original owners never left. Visitors have reported the spectral presence of an elderly woman in the mansion and many assume it must be the ghost of Mrs. Rhodes believed to have died in the house. Others report a figure in the basement of the home that they describe as the “evil man.”  Featured frequently on TV shows like Ghost Hunters, paranormal investigators and curious visitors alike have reported a menacing male presence in the mansion as well as ghostly figures, the sound of laughing children, lights that inexplicably turn on and off, and doors slamming shut and locking themselves. Visitors have encountered a variety of otherworldly activity, from the sound of heavy boots thumping across the second floor to witnessing apparitions appear in mirrors and artwork flying off the wall. ST. SIMONS ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE (ST. SIMONS ISLAND) The original St. Simons Island lighthouse, which was built in 1810, was a 75-foot-tall early federal octagonal lighthouse topped by a 10-foot oil-burning lamp. During the Civil War, U.S. military forces employed a Naval blockade of the coast and an invasion by Union troops in 1862 forced Confederate soldiers to abandon the area, but first destroying the lighthouse to prevent it from being an aid to Union warships. The Lighthouse is reputed to be haunted by the ghost of light keeper Frederick Osborne, who was killed in a duel with assistant keeper John Stephens in early March 1880 after making a disparaging remark about Stephens’ wife. Stephens later reported hearing footsteps ascending and descending the tower steps and blamed it on Osborne's ghost. There's an account of keeper Karl Olaf Svendsen's (1910) family dog Jinx being constantly harassed by the ghost. Multiple witnesses have reporting hearing the sounds on the steps, including Coast Guardsmen while doing routine maintenance of the light mechanism. The belief is the fastidious Fred Osborne is coming back to check and make sure that the light is properly cared for. A ghost tale from 1908 has the phantom of Osborne aiding a light keeper’s wife by fixing a glitch in the light works one dark and stormy night. SORREL-WEED HOUSE (SAVANNAH) The home was built by Francis Sorrel in the early 1840s and after the passing of his first wife just two years later, he remarried his young sister-in-law, Matilda. Francis was also engaged in a long-time affair with a slave named Molly who received preferential treatment among the slaves by having her own private quarters above the carriage house next to the main home. When Matilda discovered her husband with Molly one night, she was so overcome with rage that she jumped to her death from the second-story balcony. Weeks later, Molly's body was found hanging in her room from her own apparent suicide. There is a room in the basement of the home that served as an office for a staff member known only as Steve who reported never really being comfortable there and it was later revealed that the same room once housed slaves and served as their kitchen. It came to be labeled the “Voodoo Room” and an attraction to visitors coming to view the home, many of whom claim to become nauseous when they enter it, forcing them to leave. Many report feeling a strong physical presence inside it as well. The sounds of a party or social gathering has been heard downstairs but when a check is made on the room, everything suddenly falls silent. A very odd occurrence are the sounds of battle being heard that include snare drum beats, perhaps a residual effect of battles being raged during the Civil War in Savannah. People claim to see shadowy figures in the windows, and voices can be heard when there is no one inside the house. There is the apparition of a “Lady in White” said to appear in one of the parlors, as well as a host of high society female spirits who hold court in the ladies’ parlor and who disapprove of the tours. The house has been featured on shows like Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures and HGTV’s If Walls Could Talk. SPRINGER OPERA HOUSE (COLUMBUS) The Springer Opera House was built in 1871 in Columbus by Francis Joseph Springe who came to Columbus from the Alsace in Germany. In 1871 the Opera House was actually on the building’s 2nd and 3rd floors because Mr. Springer had a grocery store on the first floor. In 1901 the Springer Opera House was enlarged and the stage was brought down to the first floor where it is today with a hotel added upstairs. The expansion also included the balconies, tulip lights, and the three tiers of boxes and was the location where actor Edwin Booth, brother of John Wilkes, performed on many occasions. Based on the reports and claims made by a wide range of people over the years, Edwin still spends quite a bit of his time at the famed Opera House and for the most part, his spirit is very playful. He appears to have the most interaction with women whether they are guests, cast, crew, or staff members and enjoys toying with the props and the wardrobe. But Booth is not the only ghost in residence at the Springer Opera House as people have captured orbs of light on video that appear to bounce around a significant amount and touched one of the people there at the time. People have spotted a ghostly figure of a man (not Booth) standing on the stage at various times. Additional activity in the upper floors, including the attic, as well as cold spots and doors slamming randomly make the Springer Opera House one of the most haunted places in Georgia. TYBEE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE (TYBEE ISLAND) The original lighthouse in this area was built in 1736, but like the three lighthouses that came after it, shore erosion and storms claimed it prior to the the fourth and current structure. A staff member claims seeing the apparition of a man in the First Assistant Keeper’s quarters and the sound of constant footsteps. In the Head Keeper’s house there are reports of whistling and hearing the front door attempting to be opened. One psychic claimed to witness the spirits of two children jumping rope in the yard and a man dressed as a light keeper standing in front of the lighthouse. A little girl around 5-years-old has been reported running down the interior steps of the lighthouse issuing a warning to visitors not to climb any further. WARREN HOUSE (JONESBORO) Built in 1840 by Guy L. Warren, an agent of Macon & Western Railroad and one of Jonesboro's first town commissioners, at one point it was used as a field hospital and headquarters by Confederate troops until taken over by Union forces on September 2nd, 1864 to be used for the same purpose. The signatures of convalescing Union soldiers that were captured by the 52nd Illinois Infantry can still be seen on the walls of the downstairs parlor and the front lawn was the site of the historic Battle of Jonesboro, which resulted in the fall of Atlanta and the end of the Civil War. Several reports claim that in the evening the figure of a soldier can be seen holding a candle and looking out a window. Legend has it that a bloodstain is still visible on the floor in the attic despite attempts to scrub it clean. The Confederate cemetery across the street is also said to be haunted. WINDSOR HOTEL (SAVANNAH) A vast number of employees and visitors have come through the doors since the business began in 1892, but guests and staff report there's at least three spirits that have chosen to remain. Two are a former housekeeper and her daughter whose tragic deaths took place in an elevator shaft and have haunted the hotel since the 1920s. It’s said they (Emily Mae and Emma) were pushed down the shaft in the early 1900's by the mom’s lover. Guests claim they can hear little Emma's footsteps running down the hall throughout the night. The other resident spirit is said to be Floyd Lowery, the old doorman and elevator operator, who sometimes even helps guests with their luggage. People will tell staff that an older gentleman helped them with their luggage even though the hotel doesn’t employ a doorman or bellhop anymore. Guests regularly tell the hotel staff about their otherwise friendly and playful encounters with the ghosts. Some examples are: a wedding ring that will be moved from one spot to another or an open door that oddly closes on its own. RETURN TO PARANORMAL WORLD DATABASE SOURCES AND TEXT
TWITTER