THE PARANORMAL WORLD DATABASE       CONNECTICUT   BARA-HACK (POMFRET) Bara-Hack was settled in 1778 by Johnathan Randall Esq. and Obediah Higinbotham, two colonists of English ancestry. They and their families fled the Randall homestead and farm, situated on the coast of Cranston, Rhode Island after the British advances of the Battle of Rhode Island of 1778 deemed it too dangerous for them to stay. They settled on land in Pomfret, Connecticut previously purchased by Randall in 1776 and there they built their homes, farms and livelihoods, including a water wheel powered mill, a business which produced spinning wheels for the production of textiles, and a small burial ground that would be shared by individual members of both families. Legends grew within the town, including tales told by the Randall family slaves of a ghost baby who could often be seen reclining in a nearby tree. Other claims are of a bearded face in the cemetery, and streaking lights and orbs. Otherworldly noises of children playing have also been reported, as well as the sounds of farm animals, horse drawn buggies, and disembodied voices. BOOTHE MEMORIAL PARK (STRATFORD) One of the eleven original families, the Boothes began their new life in Stratford, Connecticut. Two descendants, Stephen and David, built what is now known as the Boothe Museum, comprised of unique architectural buildings. Boothe Park is an eclectic place that includes a mini windmill and clock tower, mini lighthouse, carriage house, trolley station, blacksmith shop, chapel, model train museum, Americana museum, observatory, playground, rose garden, a cemetery, and a building with no windows or doors. The area was once the site of a 1663 home, and the park is believed to be haunted. In the 1970s, a group of spiritualists was said to have gathered at the homestead to conjure evil spirits and by all accounts they succeeded while becoming ill and running from the building. When they turned to face the house, a man in a black suit held up a lantern and watched them from the window of a locked upstairs room. Since then, spirits have been a common occurrence at the homestead, particularly in the upstairs nursery. Over 100 visitors and staff have reported strange experiences there with some feeling compelled to cry for no reason, while others, often children, experience extreme cold even in the dead of summer. A woman’s voice is often said to be heard inside locked rooms on the second floor and many believe it is the voice of Betsy Amelia Nichols Boothe, the mother of David and Stephen. Rumors about ESP abilities possessed by Betsy Boothe are numerous. Some researchers came to the conclusion that perhaps items in the house, rather than the house itself, were the cause of ghostly encounters. The items in question have since been moved to a closed exhibit. CAPITOL THEATER (WILLIMANTIC) The ornate 1926 theater, in operation until 1973, sat empty for nearly 30 years until a 2002 renovation brought it back to life. An old theater legend involves a 1930s actress who was accidentally shot in the balcony. The shooter, her lover, was aiming for his rival, another lover of hers. Another story told here is that a live performance of a sword fight went awry and one of the actors was accidentally stabbed to death. Although no record of these events has been found, some maintain these deaths resulted in the theater’s hauntings. Witnesses have also seen apparitions in the balcony and dressing rooms and heard unexplained voices and footsteps as well as the sound of a baby crying. CAPTAIN GRANT’S INN (PRESTON) In 1754, Captain William Grant built a "suitable" home in Poquetanuck Village for his beloved wife Mercy and their children and though Captain Grant later died at sea, the abode served the family well as Mercy lived there well into her 80s, followed by three generations of Grants. During the Revolutionary War, soldiers of the Continental Army were garrisoned there and during the Civil War, escaped slaves were sheltered there. The house underwent a significant renovation in the mid 1990s, and now features numerous historically named rooms, six working fireplaces and a three-story porch. Apparently, one room in particular - the Adelaide Room - is a hot spot for paranormal activity with one guest claiming to have awakened in the middle of the night to see a woman dressed in Colonial-era garb next to her bed holding hands with two children. There have also been claims of the TV turning itself on and off as well as the shower curtain being knocked down without provocation. Some visitors have reported hearing random knockings and seeing unusual shapes. One described the sensation of having her face caressed by invisible hands, another told of the dark figure of a young child passing through them. Phantom footsteps have been heard in the attic. The inn has been featured in an episode of A&E's Psychic Kids: Children of the Paranormal. CAROUSEL GARDENS (SEYMOUR) William H. Wooster came to Seymour in 1878, having been born in Waterbury, Connecticut. He was known as a captain of industry. He started a bank, the water company, a manufacturing company, was involved with the schools and church in Seymour and was often referred to as the founder of Seymour. The most recent owners bought the estate and have worked diligently to turn it into a very successful restaurant. On one occasion, several of the staff and clients heard a glass fall to the tile floor but when they went to retrieve it, there was no glass to be found. People claim they are tugged on and have the feeling of being watched. A cat with glowing white eyes was seen though none was found anywhere on the premises. Investigators and Ed and Lorraine Warren investigated Carousel Gardens in 1990 and claimed it’s haunted by the spirit of Helena “Ruth” Wooster. Ruth is not the only spirit still lingering as occasionally, William Wooster has been seen out of the corner of the eye from the staircase, and son Horace has made his presence known as well. Cold spots are often felt, curtains are seen moving with no reason and the appearance of shadow figures is quite common. CEDRACREST HOSPITAL (NEWINGTON) This state hospital opened in 1910 as the Hartford County Home for the Care and Treatment of Persons Suffering from Tuberculosis in Newington. Two treatment pavilions and a larger medical center stood atop Cedar Mountain for the region's TB patients. The hospital was re-named Cedarcrest Sanatorium in 1925 as part of an effort to improve the image of the facility in the public eye. After the development of the Tuberculosis vaccine, the need for the hospital declined and it ceased treating the disease by 1976. One pavilion was demolished and the other, called "Hospital Two" was left abandoned. Cedarcrest eventually closed in 2012, and the property went to auction. With no bidders, it currently sits abandoned. Those who venture near claim to have heard disembodied screams and doors slamming, along with reports of orbs and full-bodied apparitions. CHARLES ISLAND (MILFORD) Originally known as Poquehaug, after the area was settled by the English in 1639 the island became known as Milford Island. After Charles Deal bought the island in 1657 it became known as Charles Island. Deal made a failed attempt to raise tobacco on the island, one of the first such efforts in Connecticut. In 1699, the infamous pirate Captain William Kidd visited the island and legend says he hid a portion of his treasure here which some believe is hidden beneath a giant boulder called Hog Rock. The island is now part of Silver Sands State Park, which also features a nature preserve. Captain Kidd also supposedly laid a curse on anyone who went looking for it and the island is also said to have been cursed by the Paugussett tribe, who were angry when European settlers took up residence here. Paranormal activity on the island includes disembodied voices, eerie noises and glowing specters. CHURCH OF ETERNAL LIGHT (BRISTOL) The church of eternal light was one of three original churches in the town and was originally a school house built in 1884. In 1889 it became a chapel and on February 18, 2001, it officially became a pagan spiritualist church and remains one to this day. There is one prominent report of a haunting at this location and that is the apparition of an unknown woman who can be seen wearing a dress from the early 1900's era and is said to be seen walking the grounds and all areas inside the church. There is a common tale that someone was killed on the steps of the church by lightening. Whether this is true or not is unknown as no official sources of documentation can be found. Other reports from this building include orbs showing up on photos taken inside the church and people who claim to hear unintelligible whispers coming from an unidentified source. CONNECTICUT VALLEY HOSPITAL CEMETERY (MIDDLETOWN) Founded in 1878, it served as the burying ground for patients of the Connecticut General Hospital for the Insane until 1957. Its design and layout are reflective of institutional cemetery practices of the period with uniform numbered grave markers in a modestly landscaped setting that accommodated over 1,600 burials. That they were marked with only numbers rather than names contributes to the eeriness. Over the years, some claim they have witnessed a headless man dressed in a tuxedo nearby and when driving by in a car will vanish when headlights are turned on. Some have seen the ghost of a bride in her wedding gown and others have reported their car’s electronics inexplicably malfunctioning. DANIEL BENTON HOMESTEAD (TOLLAND) It is believed that the house was established in the year of 1720 and was constructed in such a way that it reflects early New England-style architecture. The first time that this structure became notable was in the year of 1777. During this time, over twenty different Hessian officers were housed there waiting to return to Germany. The officers were actually considered “mercenaries”. Once the British defeated Saratoga, they surrendered to the Americans and were allowed to reside in the basement of the homestead where they were quite happy about their accommodations. Elisha Benton, grandson of Daniel resided in the home and fell in love with a girl Jemima Barrows who though 12 years younger than Elisha, shared that love for him. Elisha fought for the colonists and when he was captured by the British contracted smallpox. He was eventually released as part of a prisoner exchange agreement. Back home he was quarantined from all but Jemima who cared for him despite the highly contagious disease and both eventually succumbed to it. There have been reports of forlorn crying from a female and it’s said this is the spirit of Jemima Barrows expressing her grief. Her apparition has also been seen by many visitors through the years. Some describe her as wearing a wedding dress while others state her attire is typical 1700s era. Either way it is believed that she is waiting or searching for Elisha. Disembodied footsteps have been heard as well as the sound of objects being moved, faint voices and whispers. DEEP RIVER PUBLIC LIBRARY (SAYBROOK) The library was originally a residence built in 1881 by Richard Pratt Spencer, a local prominent businessman who lived there with his second wife and three children until his death in 1910 at the age of 90. The house included exceptionally beautiful fireplaces, refined woodwork and parties were held there on a regular basis. When Spencer’s widow died in 1932, a son sold the home to the Saybrook Library Association, which then, in turn, sold the building to the town for a small price in order to convert it into a library. Staff members and patrons have reported seeing and hearing strange things there such as a child’s laughter while no one but two of the staff were in the building. They have also encountered disembodied voices and the smell of cigar smoke as well as a woman who has been seen floating down the stairs and looking out an upstairs window. The library was featured on SyFy channel’s Haunted Collector. DEVIL’S HOPYARD (COLCHESTER) The Hopyard name comes from the belief a malt house and hop fields were located on the property in the 18th century. Today, the state park offers a variety of activities and for for those who love a good mystery, a series of haunting experiences. A legend surrounds the nickname “Devil’s Hopyard”  and is based on a long-held belief that Satan has been spotted sitting atop the waterfalls, playing a fiddle. The 860 acre park has had its fair share of witnesses to other eerie activities including orbs, demonic voices, unexplained laughter, and an overall sense of foreboding. Large pothole formations in the rocks near the falls are believed to have been created by an irked Devil who accidentally got his tail wet and stomped the holes into the ground in anger. The name could have come from any number of sources, but the story favored most is that a minister's son in the 1600s was not well liked and retaliated by dressing in masks and galloping through the area to scare residents who were quick to attribute these episodes to the supernatural. Another is that a tenant farmer named Dibble had a farm in the park on which he grew hops for beer. All that remains of that operation is a foundation at the head of the falls. Over the years the name "Dibble" evolved into "devil." DOWN’S ROAD (HAMDEN) It is a wooded stretch of road that once connected the towns of Bethany and Hamden but some hundred years ago, an alternate route was developed that left a fraction of the road abandoned. Downs Road now is closed on both ends and is filled with ruins of former homes. Since then, it has become a mythical breeding ground of rumors, urban legends, and hauntings and as a result, stories of ghosts, monsters, and all sorts of paranormal madness have been told over the years. Some say they have seen ghosts and other spirits haunting the forest. Others claim to have encountered a wild feral group of humans and while it’s unclear how or why all of these stories came to be, clearly people are seeing and/or experiencing something on this lost lonely road. One of the bizarre stories that surround the road is that of the “Downs Road Monster,” who some say was actually an albino horse. Others include different ghostly apparitions and eerie creatures such as “Melon Heads”, rumored to leave claw marks on the cars that park in the area. There have also been reports of UFO activity at the location. DUDLEYTOWN (CORNWALL) Dudleytown was founded as a small settlement in Cornwall in the mid-1740s and abandoned by the 1800s. Since the mid- 1920s, the land once occupied by the village has been maintained by philanthropists as a private land trust that worked to reforest the land after decades of agricultural use. Few traces remain of the original village and partly due to rumors of ghost activity beginning in the 1980s, has been subjected to frequent vandalism forcing its stewards to close it to the public. A local rumor alleges that the founders of Dudleytown were descended from Edmund Dudley, an English nobleman who was beheaded for treason during the reign of Henry VII. From that moment on, the Dudley family was placed under a curse which followed them across the Atlantic to America and is blamed for everything in Dudleytown from crop failures to mental illness. Several residents of the town did go insane and one man who decided to remain there after most had left, John Brophy, lost his wife and then his two children when, immediately after her funeral, they walked into the woods and disappeared forever.  Although many stories about Dudleytown has been summarily debunked, stories persist about the curse and all the strange things that still go on in the location. Numerous video footage of paranormal events in town have purportedly been captured and hikers and other visitors have seen light anomalies around the area. Some visitors have also wondered why the area is unusually quiet and does not seem to display any wildlife at all. The ghostly tales began to surface in the 1940’s when visitors to the ruins of the village began to speak of strange incidents and wispy apparitions in the woods. Those who venture into the location claim to take strange photographs, talk of unsettling feelings, mysterious orbs, and being touched, shoved and scratched by invisible entities. Some have labeled it a “portal” where spirits enter this world from another dimension. Famous demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren have investigated the area extensively. ELKS LODGE (HARTFORD) The lodge was formed in 1883 and in May 1903, moved into the four-story, yellow-bricked building which was the first structure ever constructed specifically as an Elks lodge. The "mother lodge" was designed by Hartford architect John J. Dwyer, and is constructed primarily of brownstone with limestone trim, with tall arched windows. Elks club members have reported feeling a presence in several locations inside the lodge, including the main lodge room, the ballroom and in the bar area. Others have allegedly heard voices, tables moving, mysterious footsteps, and have witnessed lights randomly going on and off. Some members also allege that they feel uncomfortable in certain parts of the building. Some say the ghost is a deceased member, perhaps Samuel Chamberlain, watching over his own former haunt. Others say the spirit may be a man who was found dead on the sidewalk outside in 1972. Witnesses say they can feel the entity in the building and one report states that the daughter of a member was approached by an apparition who told her to “Get out!” The building was featured on an episode of TV’s Ghost Hunters. FAIRFIELD HILLS STATE HOSPITAL (NEWTOWN) Fairfield State Hospital (as it was known from 1929 to 1963) or Fairfield Hills Hospital (as it was known after 1963) was a psychiatric hospital in Newtown which operated from 1931 until 1995 and at its peak housed over 4,000 patients. The entire facility was owned and operated by the State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health and still stands, just southeast of the center of town. During its operation, treatments at Fairfield Hills included hydrotherapy, the use of the drugs Metrazol and Insulin and shock therapy, patient seclusion, electro-convulsive therapy, treatment for alcoholism, and frontal lobotomy. Fairfield Hills has also attracted many members of the film and television industries and were used as a set for the 1996 film Sleepers as well as an episode of MTV’s Fear due to both its history and its haunted aesthetic. It is speculated that the spirits of abused patients continue to roam the institution's halls and the catacomb of underground passages that link the hospital buildings. Visitors report odd noises, screams, moans, being followed by disembodied footsteps, hearing voices and seeing dark, crouching figures. GAY CITY STATE PARK (BOLTON) The isolated hollow on the Blackledge River was first settled by religious leader Elijah Andrus and his followers in 1796. A succession of ill-fated mills marked the town's history—the first built around 1800 and the last burning down in 1879. Village history has also been burdened with tales of community tensions caused by the free use of alcohol during twice weekly religious services and of grisly murders gone unpunished. Following construction of a sawmill and wool mill, the village became known as Factory Hollow and grew to about 25 families, many of whom bore the surname Gay. The wool mill's commercial success ended with the War of 1812 and the mill burned down in 1830. Folk legend has reported for years the presence of the ghostly figure of a young, decapitated, murdered blacksmith moving through the overgrown tangle of woods, bushes and vines, as if hurrying to an appointment. It’s also said at times the restless spirit quite literally holds his severed head in his hands. In addition there are reports of disembodied voices, mysterious footsteps and strange mists. GLEBE HOUSE (WOODBURY) The property served the Episcopal clergy on and off throughout the years and is directly across the road from Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church and graveyard, which has existed from the very founding of Woodbury during Colonial times. Rev. John Marshall moved his family to Woodbury in 1771 to be the community’s first permanent Church of England pastor, serving at Paul Episcopal Church for the area. He, his wife, Sarah, and their nine children lived in the Glebe House from 1771 until 1786. Loved and respected by the parishioners, the Marshall family settled down to a simple, pious, and peaceful life until when the war broke out and Rev. Marshall was twice beaten and left for dead by Colonial supporters who resented his alignment with the Church of Britain. The Glebe House opened as a museum in 1923 and remains one with secure funding thanks to great planning by The Seabury Society. A black woman, thought to possibly be a slave at some point, haunts the home with her unseen felt and heard on the third floor. A Girl Scout leader, who was on a tour with her troop of 7 year old girls, inadvertently got a picture of a smiling black woman on the first floor, enjoying the visit of the little girls. On the second floor there is an older man with white hair, and two women in long party-style dresses. In the attic there exists perhaps one of Rev. Marshall’s vicious attackers, who later repented and realigned with the church or some say, a negative, angry entity who has relocated from the graveyard. GUNNTOWN CEMETERY (NAUGATUCK) Gunntown Cemetery is an old cemetery in Naugatuck which was established in 1790. Many of Naugatuck's citizens who supported independence from British rule during the Revolutionary War are buried in the cemetery. The area that was once called Gunntown is an 800-acre area where the Gunn family was said to have lived and operated a sawmill sometime around the 1740s. The Gunntown cemetery lies somewhat in the middle of area, with many people buried there bearing the same name. The cemetery is also considered by many to be haunted by many, among those demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren who declared the cemetery to be "officially haunted". The most frequently reported phenomenon there is the sound of children's laughter and music that begins in the surrounding woods, then closes in on the listener until it seems to be inside the cemetery. Some people have also seen a solid black dog near the cemetery which legend says foretells death as an individual may clearly see the black dog while his or her companions see nothing. Many photographs that have been taken at the cemetery depict spirit energy in the form of orbs, globules, and ectoplasmic mist. On rare occasions, orbs of every color have been seen flitting about the grounds with the naked eye. HUGUENOT HOUSE (HARTFORD) This 1761 home was built by 47 year old Rev. Lieut. Edmund Bemont, a minister who also served in the militia, perhaps during one of the French and Indian Wars. Bemont and his family; wife Abigail and sons Makens and Elijah lived out their lives there. Makens was a successful leather tanner who married and lived there with his own family. It’s something of mystery why the Makens Bemont House was traditionally known for years as “The Huguenot House” and one wonders if it is tied somehow to French Protestantism, but there is no surety of that. Paranormal activity was first noticed as being present after the house was moved to the Historic Structures at Merit Park and restoration efforts began and by the time restoration was almost completed in the 1980s, workmen and locals already deemed the building to be haunted. Some of the activity reported includes: footsteps, disembodied voices, sounds of doors opening and closing, random rapping and scratching on items inside the home, unexplained bangs and crashes and odd-colored light forms have been seen around the fireplace. A female entity has appeared both inside and outside the house wearing a blue dress which earned her the nickname, “The Blue Lady”. She has been seen for years, looking out various windows of the house, especially the children’s second floor bedroom window. LAKE COMPOUNCE AMUSEMENT PARK (BRISTOL) The longest operating theme park in the United States first reports of hauntings date back to the 1800s when the park opened. Legend has it that shortly after John Compound (the Native American chieftain who the park is named for) traded the property in 1684 to a group of white settlers, he drowned in the lake “while trying to cross it in a large brass kettle.” Another version of the story has Compound killing himself when he realized he hadn't gotten fair value for the land, while yet another suggests his own tribe murdered him in retaliation for giving away their sacred ground. During its heyday in the 1940s, famous big bands came to play Lake Compounce's Starlite Ballroom, including Tommy Dorsey’s band featuring a young Frank Sinatra. There are vague stories about workers being killed in construction accidents and children drowning in the lake but in more recent times there have been many all-too-verifiable events. In 1981, a 16-year-old girl fell off a moving roller coaster when she tried to stand up. In 1999, a 16-year-old park employee was struck and killed by the Tornado ride. In 2000, a 6-year-old boy drowned while riding the park’s Lake Plunge water slide and in 2001, a 23-year-old maintenance worker was killed while working on Boulder Dash. Then in 2004, a 5-year-old boy was killed when a tree branch fell and struck him. Dark shapes and spirits have been seen in and around the Starlite Ballroom, along with strange music and the disembodied voices of revelers past. There are reports of inanimate objects moving and lights turning on and off of their own volition in there as well. Nighttime security guards also allegedly have seen strange things after hours. This park was also the site where, on July 21, 1989, Milli Vanilli’s Rob and Fab were performing and their music started skipping which exposed the fact that they were lip-synching and unleashing the public ridicule that followed. LAMSON CORNER CEMETERY (BURLINGTON) The cemetery itself dates back to at least the 18th century and over time a number of the stones have either fallen over or been worn smooth by the elements. One of the few gravestones left standing (though not the original) is that of Elisabeth Palmiter, who died in 1800 at the age of 30 and is believed by some to be the cemetery’s “Green Lady”. It’s said she was drowned in a swamp near the cemetery while her husband Benjamin either just stood by watching or committed the killing himself - depending on which story you choose to believe. She is now seen as a green mist or in a ball gown on the road leading to the nearby Seventh Day Baptist Cemetery (also known as “Green Lady Cemetery”) as well as this one at Lamson Corner. The cemetery is also home to the ghost of a war veteran who appeared to one man on a visit to the cemetery. The young man, thinking the spirit was a real person called out to him to ask him what time it was. After the question was asked and much to the young man’s surprise, the man disappeared. Lights and orbs have also reportedly been seen inside the cemetery by motorists and visitors alike. LEDGE LIGHTHOUSE (GROTON) New London Ledge Lighthouse is located in Groton on the Thames River at the mouth of New London harbor. It is currently owned and maintained by the New London Maritime Society as part of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act program. New London Ledge is locally famous for the ghost of an early keeper named Ernie who allegedly haunts the lighthouse after jumping to his death because his wife ran off with the Block Island ferry captain. The Coast Guard crew on duty at the lighthouse reported unexplained knockings taking place at night, as well as doors opening and closing repeatedly, the television turning on and off by itself and the unexplained removal of sheets from beds. An undisclosed Coast Guard officer wrote the following in the crew's log on the last night before the automated light system was installed: "Rock of slow torture. Ernie's domain. Hell on earth—may New London Ledge’s light shine on forever because I’m through. I will watch it from afar while drinking a brew." In the 1990s, a television reporter from Japan spent a night inside the lighthouse to investigate the story of Ernie. He heard loud whispering noises throughout the night which allegedly are audible on camera. Ledge Light has been featured on paranormal reality shows such as Scariest Places on Earth and Ghost Hunters. Investigators from The Atlantic Paranormal Society concluded on the Ghost Hunters episode that there was not enough evidence to determine any paranormal activity taking place at the lighthouse, despite a few unexplained phenomena such as cold spots. LITCHFIELD INN (LITCHFIELD) The spirit of an elderly Native American woman is often seen in photographs and it’s said that she haunts the kitchen and dining room of the inn. Orbs have also often shown up in photographs taken at the inn. One guest reported that he saw a woman sitting on his bed when he checked into his room. When he excused himself and shut the door, he reported the apparent booking mistake to the front desk. They assured him it was his room, and when he returned, the woman was gone. NATHAN HALE HOMESTEAD (COVENTRY) The original, single family mansion was built around 1746 when Deacon Richard Hale bought a large farm and married Elizabeth Strong. The size of the dwelling grew to accommodate their large family of 12 children, of which Revolutionary War hero Captain Nathan Hale was one. While on a daring spy mission for the Militia, Captain Nathan was captured by the British and hung as a spy at barely 21 years old. His famous last words before being killed, were “I regret that I have only one life to give for my county.” Time wasn’t kind to the old mansion and by 1914 it was described as being “isolated, dilapidated, unpainted, and vacant,” and generally in a very poor state. Luckily, the home was rescued by George Dudley Seymour, a Captain Nathan Hale admirer who restored the building to its former glory. Just after Seymour had purchased the property, he and a friend took a trip out to see the old place. His friend jumped out of the buggy and ran to the front school room window and, peeking inside, came nose to nose with a detailed apparition of Deacon Hale, who had also been peeking out of the window to see who was coming. A servant of the Hale family, Lydia Carpenter, has been seen listening/eavesdropping around doorways and in the halls/kitchen area as she goes about her chores. She has also been seen sweeping the upper hall in the early morning hours and going about her business in the kitchen. In the early morning, the wife of a former caretaker suddenly heard someone come down the back stairs with a distinctive, loud clomping but no one was there to be found. Many of the reported hauntings happen at night, or in the wee hours of the morning. NORWICH STATE HOSPITAL (NORWICH) Several people who have visited the site say that being there gave them a feeling of uneasiness. The structure of the abandoned hospital does look truly terrifying, especially at night and the fact that it held over 700 criminally insane patients just adds to the overall creepiness of the place. The hospital’s Salmon Building is one of the area’s paranormal hot spots. This was the asylum’s maximum security building, a place where the criminally insane were housed prison-style, with steel doors, bars and rooms which were similar to cell blocks. When Norwich was functional, nurses would report seeing children on the second floor and hear screaming coming from the Salmon building. Doors could be heard loudly scraping open though the only way into the building was on the first floor. It’s surmised that the hospital’s residual energy originates from patients who were mistreated in the hospital and the barbaric things done to them. Some of the staff would allegedly starve them, beat them, sexually abuse them, and even pack them in ice. Disembodied voices, objects moving and doors slamming by themselves are common and much of the activity takes place in the Salmon and Earle buildings. The tunnels are also very active as people tell of hearing a woman’s sobbing. Security guards on their rounds of the property have heard beeping sounds from the lobotomy rooms, as if operations are being carried out. There are also reports of sudden cold blasts of air, even during hot and calm summer days. LINDLEY ST. (BRIDGEPORT) In November 1974, after the former Bridgeport Telegram published a story about police and fire authorities entering a Lindley Street home where they encountered "unusual occurrences" of moving furniture, the story gained national attention. What was different about this ghost story was that it wasn't just one person or family, but first responders describing rattling furniture and a small girl being slammed against the wall. Thousands from across the country, spurred at the time by the recent release of the movie The Exorcist gathered in front of the small one-story, four-room house looking to catch a glimpse of the phenomenon, which was said to include talking animals and strange noises. The story began in 1960 when Gerald and Laura Goodin purchased the home where in 1967 their only son, who was stricken with cerebral palsy, died at the age of 6. The family then adopted a little girl named Marcia and strange things began to occur immediately after she entered the home. By 1974 things just got worse and not knowing where to turn, the family called police. Building officials examined the foundation, which was deemed safe. Clergy were then called to examine and bless the home. Ed and Lorraine Warren, the famous paranormal investigators, visited the home and later displayed pieces of a cross that exploded. They later called the event, "one of the most famous well-documented poltergeist cases in history," according to a 1995 Connecticut Post article. MANSFIELD TRAINING SCHOOL (MANSFIELD) The hospital opened in Lakeville in 1860 as the Connecticut School for Imbeciles before its name was changed to the Connecticut Training School for the Feebleminded in 1915. Two years later, it merged with the Connecticut Colony for Epileptics (founded at Mansfield in 1910) and acquired its present name. When it opened in 1917, the merged institution had 402 students in residence and by 1932, the resident population had grown to 1,070. During the Great Depression and World War II, demand for its services increased which resulted in both overcrowding and long waiting lists for enrollments. Staffing levels increased during the 1960s as philosophies on treatment of mental retardation changed. In 1993, after numerous lawsuits concerning the conditions of the hospital, Mansfield Training School was closed. Supposedly spirit orbs can be seen throughout the facility, as well as unexplained voices, sounds and shapes, especially in the Knight Hospital. The Mansfield School was featured in a 2011 episode of Paranormal Witness. MARK TWAIN HOUSE (HARTFORD) Between 1874 and 1891, author Samuel Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain, lived in this Gothic mansion in Hartford which is where where he wrote “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” and “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.” After his daughter Susy died, Clemens never returned to Hartford, selling the house in 1903. It then served as a boarding school and library before being turned into a museum. Now, it is said to be haunted by the ghosts of Susy and Twain himself. Some claim to have even smelled his cigar smoke in the billiards room. Recently, there have been reports of employees and visitors seeing the apparition of a young woman in a long white dress roaming the halls and ghostly faces in the windows. Others have had their clothes tugged by unseen forces and heard the laughter of children, whispers and similar unexplained noises. RED BROOK INN (MYSTIC) Built in 1770 by the Crary family, this inn is said to also have some ghosts in residence. The apparition of Nancy Cracy has been spotted, described as a gray-haired woman in a shawl. She ghost is seen in the North Room on the second floor, and is rumored to have saved lives there when she awakened the guests after a fire broke out. Another resident ghost is a previous owner’s wife. who legend says banned her best friend from her home when she discovered she was having an affair with her husband. Twelve years later later she passed away upon which her husband married her best friend. When the new wife had a birthday party in the place, a horrible stench of rotting or decay followed her and her guests from room to room, spoiling the party. Voices and cold spots have been reported in the North Room by guests and employees alike in the years that have passed. Reports say the inn is no longer open for business REMINGTON ARMS FACTORY (BRIDGEPORT) Remington Arms in Bridgeport originally started as the Union Metallic Cartridge Company when it opened shop in 1867. Remington Arms later purchased it and in 1915 expanded it to a 73-acre manufacturing complex which placed it among the largest munitions companies in the United States during the early part of the 20th century employing over 15,000 workers and producing tons and tons of munitions annually. It was one of the champions of the Industrial Era and one of the cornerstones of the American military complex. The factory, just like many others, has seen its share of fatal accidents. Two employees fell to their deaths into a giant molten metal pot and there was an explosion in the factory in 1942 at the height of the war-time efforts. It happened on the production floor and caused the death of seven workers and injured eighty others. Some people claim that it is this event that is responsible for the shadowy black figures which can be seen in the factory as well as disembodied voices and screams. It’s reported that police have responded to disturbances there and have witnessed some very strange things. The location has been featured on an episode of Travel channel’s Ghost Adventures. SEASIDE SANITORIUM (WATERFORD) Nestled along the Long Island Sound in Waterford stands Seaside Sanatorium. Built in the early 1930s and designed by famed architect Cass Gilbert, the facility was intended to serve as a live-in treatment center for children diagnosed with tuberculosis. After several decades of practice, the reputation of Seaside took a turn for the worse as rumors surfaced about the mistreatment treatment of patients often to the point of abuse along with an uncanny suicide rate. It was closed in the late 1990s after reveals of an extremely high death rate of several hundred patients. Staff who worked in the building claim they would feel cold spots, hear footsteps and other strange sounds even while alone. Objects within the building are still said to move on their own and some claim to see the playground equipment outside in use although nobody is there. STEPNEY CEMETERY (MONROE) Stepney Cemetery is an old cemetery in the village of Stepney which is located in Monroe and was established adjacent to the Stepney Green in 1794. The cemetery is also known as Birdsey's Plain Cemetery or Beardsley Plain Cemetery and many of the area's earliest settlers are buried there, the oldest headstone belonging to Nathaniel W. Knapp who died in 1787. Knapp, a Revolutionary War soldier is one of the spirits who likes to toy with the cemetery guests. It’s said that he likes to pull the hair of young woman who come to visit and if you visit his grave and say the words “Nathan, Nathan, come and play” you will potentially feel his hand touch your shoulder. The cemetery is also the home of the “White Lady” who travels back and forth between Stepney and Union Cemeteries. She is the spirit of a young woman who passed away in her mid to late 20’s during child birth and her legend is the best-known story of the cemetery. She is know to be quite the prankster as well. The White Lady is usually sighted in the roadway along Route 59 at night and motorists (including police) have reported seeing her along the edge of the road or traveling through the graveyard. One such incident in 1993 involved an off duty firefighter who was going home and struck the supposed woman, leaving a large dent in the front of his car, but with no body to be found. Stepney Cemetery is also known as the final resting place of famed demonologist Ed Warren. STERLING OPERA HOUSE (DERBY) On April 2, 1889 the doors of the Sterling Opera House were opened to the public. It was designed by architect H. Edwards Ficken, who also was co-designer of the famous Carnegie Hall located in Manhattan, NY. and was built to serve both political and entertainment needs. The lower two levels and the basement were actually the town's City Hall and police station until 1965. The auditorium was used for hundreds of shows and live musical performances in its day and many world-famous performers such as Harry Houdini and Red Skelton took the stage at Sterling. The opera house was also the setting of an investigation in a 2011 episode of Ghost Hunters. Many people claim to have seen unexplainable things such shadow figures, orbs of light and objects moving on their own. Even though there are no tragic stories of deaths that occurred there, it is believed that the spirit of Charles Sterling, the man who the structure was named after, may be visiting the building in the afterlife. Some other examples of paranormal activity in the opera house have been people seeing and hearing a little boy playing with a soccer ball up in the balcony seats. This spirit apparently likes to be called Andy and there are soccer balls and other toys scattered across the building that have been said to move from place to place or disappear. What was once a place of entertainment and joy is now one of the "spookiest" buildings in Connecticut. UNION CEMETERY (EASTON) Union Cemetery is located near Stepney Road in Easton and dates back to the 1700s. According to ghost hunters, it is one of the "most haunted" cemeteries in the entire United States prompting Connecticut demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren to write a book about the cemetery entitled Graveyard. Ed Warren claims to have seen the ghost and to have video of it. According to popular legends, “The White Lady" haunts Union cemetery just as she does Stepney Cemetery in Monroe. Like other White Lady ghost stories, Union Cemetery's ghost is described as wearing a white dress or nightgown or wedding dress as well as a bonnet. She has been sighted by numerous witnesses, including police and firemen. She is usually sighted along Route 59 but sometimes she can be seen on Route 111 and a reported collision with the White Lady in 1993 left a vehicle damaged. According to legend, the White Lady was a murder victim who died in the 1940s but there are also rumors that she was a mourning mother who is still searching for her long-lost daughter. Another character who is considered a staple in Union Cemetery in Easton is called “Red Eyes”. One person who was walking by the cemetery claimed to have seen a pair of red eyes peering at him from the bush and when he turned around to run, he heard footsteps following him. Researchers speculate that “Red Eyes” is the ghost of Earlie Kellog, the man who was said to have been set on fire in the street in 1935. WARNER THEATER (TORRINGTON) The Warner Theatre was built as a first-run movie palace by Warner Bros. Studios and designed by nationally renowned architect Thomas W. Lamb. The opening on August 19, 1931 was a statewide event attended by then-Governor Wilbur Cross and many other dignitaries. Seating 1,772 patrons, the Warner was a stunning example of state-of-the-art technology and lush, elegant surroundings. In the 1960s Warner Brothers sold the Warner Theater to a private owner who continued to show movies until the late 1970s but by the early 1980s the theater was closed and slated for demolition when a group of local citizens banded together and formed what is now known as the Northwest Connecticut Association for the Arts. Working passionately to save the landmark from destruction, they conducted a successful grass-roots campaign and the association purchased the theater and re-opened it on May 22, 1983. Among its patrons are rumored to be unearthly guests who make their presences known periodically. One is said to be a man simply called 'Murph', who visits the staff occasionally as he makes his rounds through the theater. Legend has it that Murph - a homeless soul looking for a warm place to spend the night - drunkenly stumbled down some stairs and died of his injuries. The apparition of an indistinguishable figure has been seen in the balcony during rehearsals as that of a man in threadbare attire who, upon being sighted, simply vanished from view. Voices are heard in the projection room and a glowing white figure is said to roam through the theater seats as well as a phantom usher who appears as real and solid a figure as anyone living. YANKEE PEDLAR INN (TORRINGTON) The Yankee Pedlar Inn is a historic 52-room hotel located in Torrington and was built for its original owners Frank and Alice Conley in 1891 for $40,000. Alice was the manager while Frank worked as the hotel's operator and throughout much of the first half of the 20th century, it was managed as a family business. The inn is notable for having many associations with the supernatural and one of inn's the most haunted rooms is 353 where Alice Conley died and where a rocking chair often moves on its own. Room 295 has had strange reports of guests seeing spirits and feeling a presence climb into bed with them. The basement is another particularly active spot as visitors report dizziness, doors opening and closing and the feeling of a “heavy weight” on them when entering. One guest reporting an bizarre dream discovered their companion had the same exact dream. Due to the notoriety of the inn, filmmaker Ti West shot the horror film The Innkeepers at the hotel which was based entirely around the inn's paranormal activity. The inn closed on Dec. 1, 2015, for extensive renovations which were expected to take 7-9 months to complete but subsequently stalled due to lack of funds. In September 2017 property owner Jayson Hospitality said renovations would resume and the inn would reopen in May of  2018. The Inn never re-opened as of May 2018 and locals fear it never will. RETURN TO PARANORMAL WORLD DATABASE SOURCES AND TEXT
TWITTER